Oil leaking from exhaust manifold

/ Oil leaking from exhaust manifold #1  

IH_4_Me

Tractor
IH 574
Hey guys. My IH 574 is leaking oil from the exhaust maifold, but from only one of the cylinders. Attatched is a photo of it. She smokes quite a bit so I'm guessing worn piston rings and a spent exhaust manifold gasket? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 435050-leaky.JPG
    435050-leaky.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,096
   / Oil leaking from exhaust manifold #2  
If it were diesel I might guess it was 'slobber' and a bad gasket. If gas.. any change that a head stud is in an oil passageway and leaking? Happens in water passageways all the time.

Soundguy

/ Oil leaking from exhaust manifold
It's a diesel.
Thanks for your reply Soundguy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Oil leaking from exhaust manifold #4  
Bieing diesel.. and smoking.. does sound like worn rings.. and that is a big preface to diesel slobber.

I bet if you pull the exhaust manifold it is black and shiny inside..

Soundguy

/ Oil leaking from exhaust manifold #5  
What color is the smoke? Blue or Black?

Its blue smoke indicating oil burning. I bought some thickener additive for the oil today so I will see if that helps. It ideally needs new piston & rings but if it don't smoke then I'll be happy!

/ Oil leaking from exhaust manifold #7  
How long since an oil change? Sometimes new/clean oil helps.

/ Oil leaking from exhaust manifold #9  
IH 4 me,does it smoke more at idle or when at higher rpm's,if it's worse at idle you have a valve stem seal leaking,smoke at higher rpm's means rings are bad,also has the air cleaner been serviced lately?

Last oil change was about 10 hours ago and smoked before and after that.

dieseldoc - it smokes both at idle and high rpms. No doubt theres more problems than just piston rings /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif