No engine braking when TA set in "Turtle" position

/ No engine braking when TA set in "Turtle" position #1  

IH_4_Me

Tractor
IH 574
No engine braking when TA set in \"Turtle\" position

Help! My IH 574 has no engine braking when the torque amplifier is in the turtle position! It gave me quite a fright when I came over the brow of that hill...
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks,

/ No engine braking when TA set in "Turtle" position #2  
Re: No engine braking when TA set in \"Turtle\" position

Glenn

I had a Farmall (IH) 340 with Torque Amplifier . The gear reduction for TA is a set of planetary gears. It is normal for the gears to have no engine braking when using TA. Just release the TA handle and engine braking will be return. If I remember correctly there is a note in the owners manual that mentions this.

/ No engine braking when TA set in "Turtle" position #3  

You have a little different 574 then we would have here in the US but maybe more like those sold in Canada. We were not able to get the 574 with a TA although the later models did have it. The TA in long terms is torque amplifier! It is meant to be used when needing more power while climbing hills to increase the torque in that gear. It was never designed as a brake nor meant to be and many failures of it come from using it as a brake. This happens because normally when using it as a brake your engine speed is at an idle or near to it and the hydraulic pumps don't have enough volume to lock up a clutch pack under those circumstances. The older tractors out of the 50's and early 60's had a dry one that would not lock up at all and actually free wheeled down hill! Yours should hold back going down hill but certainly not shifted down to act as a brake.

/ No engine braking when TA set in "Turtle" position

Hey thanks for explaining that so well guys! Puts me at ease knowing it's supposed to be like that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again,