2005 Kubota 900 RTV Problem Starting...

/ 2005 Kubota 900 RTV Problem Starting... #1  

Al Barrs

Tractor
TAFE 35DI
I have a 2005 Kubota 900 RTV in which I have recently installed a new Interstate battery and a new starter and solenoid.

My problem is when I start my RTV in the morning, when the diesel engine is cold, it starts right up. But, when it gets warmed up, but the gauge doesn't show it's hot, I only get a click, which sounds like the solenoid is getting current and trying but for some reason the starter is not turning and engaging the flywheel. I checked the battery current to the starter and it is 12 volts. If I stop and turn off the RTV during the period I am using it and it has been running it just clicks, what sounds like the solenoid but the new starter doesn't spin or engage. If I let the RTV set for a couple of hours it will start right up again.

To me, it seems like there may be some automatic shut off switch that has gone haywire and is activating and shutting the ignition system when the RTV is hot. Or, I guess it could be a bad starter... I just don't know where to start troubleshooting and making repairs...

Does anyone have any experience with this condition in a Kubota 900 RTV? Anyone have any advice about troubleshooting and/or repairing whatever it is that is causing this annoying RTV starting problem?

Thanks,

Al Barrs, Owner
Quail Ridge Farm
Greenwood, FL
albarrs@wfeca.net

/ 2005 Kubota 900 RTV Problem Starting... #2  
I know this is a old post but figured I would post a reply. Mine started doing that and it was the starter.

/ 2005 Kubota 900 RTV Problem Starting...
I know this is a old post but figured I would post a reply. Mine started doing that and it was the starter.

Good Morning Mizellgg;

Yes, you are right it was my starter and after replacing it I haven't had any starting problems. Thanks!

By the way my cousin's son, my nephew, is the football coach over at Valdosta College, Kerwin Bell. His dad Doyle Bell and I grew up together down in Lafayette County, FL on tobacco farms. He is still there but I retired in 1997 from education and business and live on my farm in Jackson County, FL with my wife of 60 years... Have a great year!

Al Barrs
albarrs@wfeca.net

/ 2005 Kubota 900 RTV Problem Starting... #4  
Yes, you are right it was my starter and after replacing it I haven't had any starting problems. Thanks!

By the way my cousin's son, my nephew, is the football coach over at Valdosta College, Kerwin Bell.

Al,

Thanks for the followup. I will remember this (I hope) if my RTV ever has the same problem.

The name "Kerwin Bell" rang a bell for me, but I couldn't remember why. Thanks to Google, I was able to refresh my memory: Kerwin Bell - Wikipedia.

Steve