I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam...

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam... #1  

Joebklyn

I have a beloved 20 year old sears Ride on mower. It has a Kohler Pro 17 (CV490S) engine. I got a can of seafoam and like a fool I poured some into the carb. Lotsa white smoke, engine stumbled but recovered. I used more and engine sputtered and all of a sudden it was on fire. All the dead grass near the muffler went up and I happened to have a hose nearby and put it out pronto. It will now not start. I have since changed the old fuel lines w/filter, changed the oil 2 times to make sure any gas/seafoam is out, checked the fuel cut off solenoid (bottom of the bowl) on this Walbro carb it's working fine, changed the coil/ignition properly too. New plug. I get all the new stuff in and nothing. Sound like it wants to start but it's not. Checked spark with ignition tester, it's getting spark. When I spray starting fluid into the carb opening I get nothing when I'm trying to start it. Maybe a backfire or 2 from the carb housing. I'm at a loss should I get a new carb? They're expensive, I've seen some for $157 and $25.95. Don't know where to go from here. I'm retired and need to get this working. Thanks J

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam... #2  
Was it running when you turned the hose on it? Since it won't fire on a shot of either I'd suspect it might have a warped valve from rapid temp change, do a compression or leakdown test.

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam... #3  
If it ran before you poured in the seafoam I doubt there is anything structurally wrong with the engine. How much water did you put on it?

Did you take the bowl off the carb and make sure it's clean? If it won't fire on starting fluid it is generally a spark issue. Have you removed the air filter and sprayed some starting fluid directly in the carb?

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam...
Yes, I sprayed starting fluid directly into the carb. Nothing happened, it sounded like it wanted to start though. I've got compression. I took the spark plug out, sprayed starting fluid directly into the hole and re installed plug. I hooked up an ignition spark tester and it showed the new coil was generating spark. Took the carb off. Unscrewed the solenoid that holds the bowl on and cleaned it out good. Tested solenoid and it's working. Float is ok too. I only poured Seafoam not water into the carb.

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam...
The fire was grass under the mower. I was careful to not 'hose' the engine down. The engine was cold when I started it up and poured the seafoam in so I'll try and get a compression gauge and see. What kind of PSI should I see if all is well?

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam... #6  
You said you have a new plug. When checking the fuel shutoff solenoid did you confirm it has power while starting?

I recently did something stupid also. My pressure washer wouldn't run and I wanted to clean the house. I cleaned the rust out of the carb which has to be done every year on Honda engines. It would start but shuts right back off in a few seconds. I figured it had to be the coil and I've had to clean the carb every year. I was not willing to wait for parts so I went and bought a new pressure washer and ordered parts for my old one. Parts came in and I put them in and it did the same thing. Turned out all it needed other than the carb clean was the plug replaced. New owner picked it up today and was happy. I bought it used and got all the money I had in it back after several years of use so I didn't come out too bad. I also like the new washer with the Made in the USA Briggs engine. I have always had great use with Briggs and never had any luck with Hondas.

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam... #7  
It has fuel, air, compression and a spark... Is the spark at the right time ? The backfire is suspicious. I would pull the flywheel off and check the coil mounting and key on the shaft.

The issue may not have anything to do with the seafoam... just age and wear.

If you do find the problem... please post so others can learn.

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam... #8  
I also don't think the Sea Foam caused the engine to quit running. Is it possible that cold water on a hot exhust might burst insides and cause exhust become restricted? If it doesn't fire on starting fluid I wouldn't think a new carb will fix it. For future reference,Sea Foam is one of the few additives I will use but pouring it or anything else through air intake isn't doing anything for the carb.

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam... #9  
Change the plug. Take the muffler and air filter off and try it. I assume the blade is still on it? If that doesn't have an effect I would check the key on the flywheel.

/ I did something stupid on my Sears Ride On with Seafoam... #10  
I know the Bolens I had, when it forecasted rain it was a bear to start. Wonder if the water around the points could be a problem although you said you had spark. As was said, check the key, backfire might have sheared it.............Mike