Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H #1  

Handloader109

Gold Member
Tractor
Cabelas 25
Well I haven't posted in a good while, and I guess that is a good thing. A bit of background, purchased a Cabela's branded TYM scut 25hp in December 2015 just prior to Cabela's announcement of ending their foray into selling tractors. Was overall pleased with purchase, good price, works for what I needed it for. Tilling, moving some stuff and lifting items and mowing. I have midmower for it. This model is identical to the TYM T254NH except for the color. The fel is different, but basic tractor is identical. Overall, in two years I've only had a couple of issues. First mid mower driveshaft. I didn't have connected well and busted ujoint. Was able to replace joint. Then the muffler cracked at manifold. Tried to get my closest TYM dealer to replace, but never got this done. So, I just welded it up myself and after about 25hours it's held. I did add bracket to help keep it rigid.

So at about 90 hours I noticed leak of fuel after filling up. Strange. Didn't think I had overfilled it. Second filling, I took more care, stopped early, but once I moved tractor, it leaked again. So today, after again refilling and having it leak, I decided to figure it out. So I stripped off shell and found the entire fuel gauge assembly broken off around the perimeter of the tank. The nuts holding on the plate were welded into the plastic and the ring of plastic had broken loose. So, I contacted the dealer closest to me and they are now dropping TYM. They are a big Mahindra dealer and probably focusing solely on them. So I emailed direct to TYM to see what they are willing to do. I don't relish trying to haul a hundred miles to next closest dealer. Be aware that I'm in a pretty mild area, 90f summer high and about 20 as low for past couple of years. Tractor inside majority of time in garage, winter for sure, summer I have left out a decent amount. But no deterioration I can see.and as stated TYM is the same and could suffer same issue.

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H
I will if TYM takes very long to respond. My local Cabela's got rid of their stuff fast. When I stopped by trying to get 50 hr hydro filter, they had lost their last mechanic and all parts had been shipped out to others. With one tractor in shop waiting on parts and a tech. I had emailed pretty terse note to them when muffler broke and they responded with contact the dealer, which I had already done with no result. I gave up after three phone calls and no return calls.
This is way more serious as it is fuel, even though it is diesel.

I'm not posting to ding anyone.. YET! Just trying to make others aware of potential issue with at least the smaller TYM,Cabela's, and maybe even Mahindras. I haven't researched the Mahindra gas tank, but I bet it is the same. And it being under the top shroud, the connection is hard to detect. First thing to notice is fuel gauge became erratic.

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H
tractor tank1.jpg

Picture of tank

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H #5  
Are you anywhere near a plastic repair shop or a larger body shop? That might be repairable and the patch better than new.

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H #6  
Are you anywhere near a plastic repair shop or a larger body shop? That might be repairable and the patch better than new.

I'm sure that could be done, but if I owned such a shop, I'd be wary of the liability on such a repair! It ain't no four-wheeler fender!

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H #7  
I believe your LH25 is the same as a Mahindra E-max 25 also with different loader and engine I think. They should still be able to help with parts if they drop TYM. Cabelas should step up and take care of this. It is not TYM's direct responsibility. Hopefully this is just a single faulty tank and not a serious issue with all of them.

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H #8  
It's a shame. That tank is essentially ruined. If it were 10/20 years old it would be one thing to jury rig it back together. Not a 3 year old tank.

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H #9  
That would be a easy fix, if you wanted to, or needed to if you have trouble getting a new tank. I would take a hole saw or rotozip or such and cut out the broken section of the tank to about the size of the old mounting area, this would get rid of any cracks that have formed and clean up the hole. Then cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum or steel square about a inch larger than the tank opening, then cut a new circle and screw holes for the sending unit in the metal. Make a gasket and or use sealer and bolt the new piece to the tank, install the sending unit back in.

/ Fuel tank cracked Cabela's LH25H #10  
Here are some pre made ones, but I don't know if the sending unit holes are the same or not.

Attachments

• image-3641323620.jpg
    image-3641323620.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 124