Sell at a loss now or later

/ Sell at a loss now or later #1  

SmithwithFord1700

Tractor
Ford 1700 4WD
We have a Ford 1700 tractor. One axle has broken while were were using the loader to move stone. I am not planning on keeping the tractor for 20 years so the 2K-2500 price tag seems steep, and we are not sure I would get any more out of the tractor sale if it was fixed. It seems that either way we stand to lose a few thousand dollars. Any advice for amateur owners who had no business buying used? Thanks.
:confused

Last edited:
   / Sell at a loss now or later #2  
If it's the front axel, maybe you can find a used (salvage} axle.

/ Sell at a loss now or later #3  
We have a Ford 1700 tractor. Evidently the axles were welded and one has broken while were were using the loader to move stone. I am not planning on keeping the tractor for 20 years so the 4-5K price tag for repairs for both sides (total) seems steep, and we are not sure I would get any more out of the tractor sale if it was fixed. It seems that either way we stand to lose a few thousand dollars. Any advice for amateur owners who had no business buying used? Thanks.
:confused

As you know, that tractor is probably not worth a 4-5k repair. Hard to believe that it would be that much. 1700 Ford axles are a known weak point.

Some sites that may or may not be helpful:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-ag-tractors/356444-iso-new-used-ford-1700-a.html

Ford 17 Tractor Axle Front 4wd Compact Tractor SBA32631521 | eBay

If I were in your situation, I would probably remove the broken part and take it to a machine shop. They may be able to pin and weld the broken part, or they may be able to manufacture a replacement cheaper than a new one.

Not sure the condition of the unit or what you paid. I have a Ford 1700 4wd with 1850 hours and no loader in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition. I believe it is worth about $6k. Your tractor could be worth between 2500 and 7500, depending upon it's condition and hours (in proper operating condition). Immobilized by broken front axles, you may be able to get $1K to $3k for it. Post a few pics of the repair and the overall condition of the machine. Advice on this is dependent upon the condition of the tractor.

I'm sorry this Ford let you down. My experience with the Ford xx00 series compact tractors has been very good. I've been running them / owning them most of my life. They are typically very reliable. Your Ford may have some life left, maybe not. Pics will tell a lot.

/ Sell at a loss now or later
I think it would have been a great tractor, but we had sunk too much money already into it. The hours are 1850. It worked really well for what we needed until the wheel fell off. Photos are at this post

Ford 17 tractor with loader - farm & garden - by owner - sale

I will take a look at the links you sent. I am aware of both the replacement kit and the machine shop option, but we would have to hire someone to do the labor. Thank you.

Last edited:
   / Sell at a loss now or later
Also, I have to talked to Vion Precision machining already so that is an option. Thanks for the links though. The tractor is 4WD by the way.

/ Sell at a loss now or later #6  
I'll give you $1000 for it as is. Then your out the headache :laughing:

/ Sell at a loss now or later #7  
I think the answer is always you need to know the numbers. What would it sell for as is vs what would it sell for fixed up (and don't forget to net out the cost of repairs) to see which is a better deal for you if you are intent on selling it.

When you say you sunk a lot of money into it was that one large repair that should last years or have lots of little things been going wrong that have added up to a lot of money? If it is lots of little things it may be time to cut your loss and move on to the next tractor.

/ Sell at a loss now or later #8  
Hard to tell from pics but it looks like it was welded before. ???

/ Sell at a loss now or later #9  
They may have a used axle for you ....

Long Lane Tractor
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania 17022
Phone: (717) 400-7080
OR: (717) 367-8610

/ Sell at a loss now or later #10  
A new axle on Ebay is $1,025