massey ferguson 1540 smoking

/ massey ferguson 1540 smoking #1  

alex259

Tractor
massey ferguson 1540
hey guys first time posting so if i forget any info or anything just let me know. i have a massey ferguson 1540 (just bought it). it has 1100 hours on it. it ran awesome when i got it and first time use. no smoke at all besides normal puff when starting. i did however notice a rip in the hose running from the intake to the front of the turbo. so i took it off and quick tapped it up and reinstalled(tried to get new hose but thats a whole other story. so i started it up and it was all good until maybe 30 min later and then it started smoking a whitish smoke at all times especially at idle. so i ran it a little more to finish what i was doing and then by the end it was revving a bit higher than normal. i tried to idle it all the way down n u could hear it was trying to idle higher then it was supposed to be. not trying to run away or anything though. and not pouring white smoke but a nice very noticeable stream. so basically seeing if anyone had any similar problems or what i should start checking. any help is appreciated, thanks

/ massey ferguson 1540 smoking
i also wonder if its getting less air because now it has to go through the whole intake instead of right through the rip n into the turbo. maybe turbo problem.

/ massey ferguson 1540 smoking #3  
Boy I'm no diesel mechanic or expert but here goes. Usually white smoke is one of two things. 1) the fuel is not being totally burned up in the combustion process. 2) you have coolant leaking in to the cylinders and thus is being processed during combustion. This would most likely be caused by a blown head gasket or cracked head. Did you get you engine hot? Getting the engine too hot can blow a head gasket or crack the head. A couple of simple checks to determine if you have this problem it to check you coolant level and make sure it is full. Operate/ run tractor for a while. Check the engine oil as soon as you turn the tractor off. If engine oil is black on the dip stick your good, but I it has a milkiness to it you have problems with the head / head gasket. After engine cools, recheck the coolant level. If the coolant level is not full, that coolant is going somewhere and very well be leaking into the cylinder indicating a trouble with the head/ head gasket.
Now back to the origional thought of not totally burning up the fuel during combustion. Generally a lot of tractors puff a little white smoke trying to start then and shortly after starting for a little bit. You indicated yours does this and is normal. However, if it continues to smoke and there is a problem with combustion, it can be tricky to get to the problem. Start and keep it simple. I'd pull you air filter and see what it looks like. A dirty air filter can cause you to smoke. Just blow your air filter out with compressed air or if it is real bad you may have to replace it. As far as turbo and injection pump I'd be hesitant to suspect them, but it is possible. One thing you might try is to undo your rip in that hose and see what the tractor does. I will say I have an old allis Chalmers and it smokes at an idle until the engine gets warmed up especially if it is cold out say below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I understand the theory of diesel engines and turbos, but getting real in-depth I have not done much. Other than that it is getting beyond me. Hope this helps and welcome to the tractor forum.

/ massey ferguson 1540 smoking
thanks for the reply. coolant levels and oil is all good.. i will check n clean air filter today. other thing i thought is that maybe someone adjusted something like injectors for the tractor having a rip in the hose that they couldn't find or something so then when i fixed the hose maybe its running different now.

/ massey ferguson 1540 smoking #5  
Its a strong possibility that your turbo oil seals are bad letting the motor suck oil pass them it us burning the oil cause it to Rev up I hope this helps you