Radiator "Stop Leak" products

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #1  

IH_4_Me

Tractor
IH 574
Radiator \"Stop Leak\" products

I took the radiator off my tractor today and took it to be repaired, the neck had developed a crack where it joins onto the tank. The guy repaired it ok but then pressure tested it and there was a leak coming from inside the top of the core. He told me it needs to be re-cored @ $400!! I said no way can you patch it up? He says no caus it will end up being damaged further by the heat used while repairing it. He didn't charge me for the work that he had done (It was in his shop for 3 hours) so I was happy bout that.

Anyway, I went to the local auto shop and bought some radiator leak repair stuff. I got two kinds, a liquid one, and a powdered one which is actually a synthetic solder that melts in the heat of the water, and cools instantly when it reaches the air of the leak (or so the pack says..).

So, I thought I would ask if anyone out there has had any experiance using this type of product?
From reading the side of the tin it sounds like it will work just fine so heres hoping /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #2  
Re: Radiator \"Stop Leak\" products

I've used some of the Leak stop products for minor fitting leaks and for water pump lubrication. Think it helped.

For a core it's a little different. Can't hurt to try it but keep close watch and start saving for a core replacement. Sometime the leaky tube can be pinched off on either side of the leak but I've not done this for many a year. You may also be able to reach the leak with a soder gun and repair from outside. I've also done this.

Egon

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #3  

I have found that the kind called "Bar-Leaks" works the best.

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #4  

I think I might get an estimate or two to re-core that old radiator from a different shop. Here in Ohio we have many, and the prices vary widely. My last tractor was recored twice because the radiator was flexing and the hoses weren't. I finally installed a brace from the top of the radiator to the engine block to eliminate the problem. As I remember the cost each time for the repair was about $150.00

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #5  

IH 4 me,i have been a diesel mechanic for 24 years and i can say that the "stop leak" type products are good, IF,you are stranded on the side of the road.but,for a permenent repair have it recored.these products will clog up more than the hole that is leaking!!

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #6  

I've found most stop leak type products, whether for rads or anything else, are pretty useless, except the make the inevitable repair a bit harder.

$400 seems like a lot of money to recore a rad, I'd ask around.

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products

This is what it says on the bottle...

RADweld
Permanantly seals leaks in radiators and stops rust forming....FAST

Time will tell if this statement is true or not.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #8  

Apparently RadWeld is good enough that Subaru is using it on their head gasket recall campaign.

"As a precautionary measure, SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. is recommending that a special conditioner be added to the engine cooling system of certain 1999 through 2002 model year Subaru vehicles equipped with 2.5 liter engines. This recommendation, which applies to your Subaru vehicle, is made to prevent a possible external coolant leak at your vehicle’s engine cylinder head gaskets."

See the three posts starting Here.

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products

Well thats good to know because as it happens I also own a Subaru WRX STi /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif No coolant leaks though..

/ Radiator "Stop Leak" products #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Apparently RadWeld is good enough that Subaru is using it on their head gasket recall campaign.

"As a precautionary measure, SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. is recommending that a special conditioner be added to the engine cooling system of certain 1999 through 2002 model year Subaru vehicles equipped with 2.5 liter engines. This recommendation, which applies to your Subaru vehicle, is made to prevent a possible external coolant leak at your vehicle’s engine cylinder head gaskets."

See the three posts starting Here. )</font>

I just love it when a car manufacturer suggests using a "remedy" product to repair a defect in the manufacturing process. If I owned a Subaru, I wouldn't use it because if the gasket leaks, then it should be replaced. Stop leak products are a temporary fix at best. What you are putting into the system is a product that will "gum up" the leak area and stop it. It is a band aid method of repair. I have used it when necessary, but a permanent repair is needed. If the radiator is shot, then the block will also need to be cleaned internally. If you install a "stop leak" product, you definitely will need to remove it before the new radiator is installed. If you were doing anti freeze changes on a regular basis, then the radiator might still be good. What happens, is the anti freeze product will deteriorate and it in turn will start to attack the metal of the radiator. Usually, the only other time a radiator will go bad is if it is constantly subjected to salt spray during the winter or flexing as described above.