Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm

/ Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm #1  

tylertown

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 40 backhoe, Ford 5000 general purpose
Should my throttle lever be completely horizontal for around 540 pto rpms. My tach doesn't work so I'm not sure don't want to hurt the tractor. Thanks

/ Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm #2  
Get the tachometer fixed, or buy one of the external units. You cannot tell PTO speed by throttle position, as it also depends on the load.

/ Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm #3  
Download an app called strobelight. Put a mark on the pto and set the app for 540. When the pto is at the correct speed the mark will appear stationary and you can note your throttle position. Obviously take all the necessary safety precautions.

/ Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm #4  
Download an app called strobelight. Put a mark on the pto and set the app for 540. When the pto is at the correct speed the mark will appear stationary and you can note your throttle position. Obviously take all the necessary safety precautions.

That strobelight app sounds interesting. Are you talking about the one for iphone ?

/ Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm #5  
   / Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm
My tractor was 6v it was changed to a 1 wire alternator at some point so no where to hook a tach cable too. I have been running it by sound but I would like to better know in the area of where it might be throttle wise.

I am going to see if i can get that app and try that.

Will it hurt to be bush hogging and have it a little over 540rpm? Because to my knowledge slower speeds work the gears harder. I'm not sure if there's truth to that.

I like the looks of that digital magnetic tach but where would something like that need to be mounted around the harmonic balancer in not sure I just put a water pump on it and there isn't alot of room up front when the radiator and cowl is on

/ Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm #8  
I just try to run mine close to where I think is 540. Most mowers do a better job if ran at the recommended speed. I'm not up to date on computer and iphone apps and stuff but I'd like to find out how to get the app as mentioned. Once you find your correct speed of the PTO then you could go by the sound of the engine when mowing. That's basically what I'm doing anyway.

/ Ford 5000 where to position throttle for pto 540rpm #9  
I like the looks of that digital magnetic tach but where would something like that need to be mounted around the harmonic balancer in not sure I just put a water pump on it and there isn't alot of room up front when the radiator and cowl is on

I had thought about actually mounting the pickup parts on the PTO shaft. I've read where people clean a spot and using a strong epoxy glue the little magnet onto the shaft then you'd have to rig you a way to hold the pickup close to the rotating magnet. The pickup would have a wire that runs to the LED readout and of course you mount it where you can see it. They do make wireless ones but I'd be concerned about the accuracy of wireless.

Thanks! I haven't thought about that. That may be the route I take because there are plenty of 3/4 mounting holes on the rear of the tractor to mount a bracket. I only need it when in running the pto so that should work fine and for 10 to $20 can't beat that