Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #21  
I am interested in synthetic oil answer. I forwarded it to the dealer and will see if they will do it. How many hours do you have now and what is your drain interval.

Has anyone else changed to synthetic?

I've got approximately 110 hours on the MF Permatran semi-synthetic transmission/hydraulic oil. I'll probably change it out at the regular recommended service interval in the manual. Somehow, I doubt that the tractor will make it that long as I'm guessing that this tractor transmission will probably fail before then. Switching to the semi-synthetic hyhraulic oil, IMHO is a bandaid to the real problem, whatever that is. I will admit that I haven't had milky hydraulic oil since the switch. There seems to be something wrong with some 1754, 1758.... HST tractors? I've read threads on this forum and others that individuals are having some issues with these HST tractors. Mine has reverse failure, others have no pulling power in other than the low range transmission setting, your transmission overheats. Mine has great pulling power! Pulling tree stumps, it easily spins tires in 4WD with the transmission in mid range. I've read where another individual can't break the tires free in wet grass in 2WD in mid range transmission trying to pull something heavy or do loader work. IMHO, I believe that there is something wrong with the hydro pumps on some of these tractors. Maybe, a cavitation problem that somehow contaminates the hydraulic fluid?

I'm wishing you luck getting you tractor fixed! Please keep updating this thread as you go forward. Looking forward to your update and fix. Thanks.

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues
I've got approximately 110 hours on the MF Permatran semi-synthetic transmission/hydraulic oil. I'll probably change it out at the regular recommended service interval in the manual. Somehow, I doubt that the tractor will make it that long as I'm guessing that this tractor transmission will probably fail before then. Switching to the semi-synthetic hyhraulic oil, IMHO is a bandaid to the real problem, whatever that is. I will admit that I haven't had milky hydraulic oil since the switch. There seems to be something wrong with some 1754, 1758.... HST tractors? I've read threads on this forum and others that individuals are having some issues with these HST tractors. Mine has reverse failure, others have no pulling power in other than the low range transmission setting, your transmission overheats. Mine has great pulling power! Pulling tree stumps, it easily spins tires in 4WD with the transmission in mid range. I've read where another individual can't break the tires free in wet grass in 2WD in mid range transmission trying to pull something heavy or do loader work. IMHO, I believe that there is something wrong with the hydro pumps on some of these tractors. Maybe, a cavitation problem that somehow contaminates the hydraulic fluid?

I'm wishing you luck getting you tractor fixed! Please keep updating this thread as you go forward. Looking forward to your update and fix. Thanks.

Thank you. I will be taking these to Massey I hope next week. I am currently waiting on a phone call.

Well 4 phone calls to Massey's help line and no return calls. This is not looking good. It appears they do not want to talk to me. 2nd call I gave them (call center screener) the info from this site and was assured I would have a call by last Monday 11.13.17. Called Tuesday and they said they had no record of my call. Would have a call no later than Wednesday and would give it priority. No call! Called Thursday and was apologized to then and was told Fri I would have my call.
Nothing.

I guess they must really have an issue here. Would a dealer or someone from the factory please reply to this. There are a lot of us having the issue.

Thank you.

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #24  
Stormcom, I sent an email to my very friendly MF dealer locally and asked him about synthetic oil for my little MF/Iseki hydro.
Both for you and now for me. And i supplied a link to this thread and asked him about it.
I came in from an hour of field work pulling a small cultivator helping a neighbor yesterday. I usually use my air hose but I had put it away and the
water hose was closer so I hosed down the dirt which had collected on the rear of the tractor.
And was met with a huge cloud of steam boiling off the hydro trans.
oh my, hard to believe it should be that hot.
And for sure I thought of this thread.

Just changed the trans fluid, but I bet they did not use synthetic.
Am absolutely going to myself very soon.
I'd like to see if I could retrofit a trans cooler on this tractor also.
Sure makes a gear tractor seem reliable, huh?...

And this is a 20 year old tractor...seriously hard to believe they still have problems with this.

Well...

Received tractor back yesterday. Rep said he made it heat up. Was out with it for the day and accidently put his arm on the remote valve on the right side (right next to the arm rest). Moved valve about 1/2 inch and the trans temp jumped 30 degrees and was headed north. Let go and temperature went back to normal. They have removed pin from remote handle and I am going to run it that way.

He also stated the valve has a hair trigger and not very much internal resistance. He said the other people who have had this issue could also have this problem. He is going to report this back to the factory and Iseki.

I told him I would post this and will hopefully be cutting this weekend.

Oh I forgot. He said it is ok to run synthetic but Massey says the regular trans hyd. will work just as well.

Spent 715.00 on 50 hour inspection and we will see. Massey did not pay for the burnt hydro fluid or any of the labor. But if this fixes it and they get a better remote valve out of this, I will be a happy camper.

Massey gave me a news flash. They are changing from the Mitsubishi engine to Sibaura. Just thought you people should know. To me, the Mitsubishi is a lot stronger engine. Please write your thoughts.

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #27  
Well...

Received tractor back yesterday. Rep said he made it heat up. Was out with it for the day and accidently put his arm on the remote valve on the right side (right next to the arm rest). Moved valve about 1/2 inch and the trans temp jumped 30 degrees and was headed north. Let go and temperature went back to normal. They have removed pin from remote handle and I am going to run it that way.

He also stated the valve has a hair trigger and not very much internal resistance. He said the other people who have had this issue could also have this problem. He is going to report this back to the factory and Iseki.

I told him I would post this and will hopefully be cutting this weekend.

Oh I forgot. He said it is ok to run synthetic but Massey says the regular trans hyd. will work just as well.

Spent 715.00 on 50 hour inspection and we will see. Massey did not pay for the burnt hydro fluid or any of the labor. But if this fixes it and they get a better remote valve out of this, I will be a happy camper.

Please clarify. So, they are saying that moving the remote lever out of the center detent is what is causing your problem? If my remote handle is moved off center, I can clearly hear by the whine that it isn't in neutral. Is this the same thing that they are saying happened to your MF1754? So, what is the remote valve fix?

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #28  
Please clarify. So, they are saying that moving the remote lever out of the center detent is what is causing your problem? If my remote handle is moved off center, I can clearly hear by the whine that it isn't in neutral. Is this the same thing that they are saying happened to your MF1754? So, what is the remote valve fix?

Other comment. My dealer is phasing out all conventional hydro fluid. Is only planning on stocking semi-synthethic in the future. Dealer says he is being pushed that way by Massey.

they puled the pin from the handle (pivot) and drove it over an hour with no heatup. try removing pin and see. Rep worked and drove my tractor all day and after finding valve issue, could not make it heat up. If yours is whining, try the fix. Obviously they need a new design on the valve.

Rep just called and said to make sure valve is in float position. If you here whining, bad valve. can you pm me your serial number and I will forward to Massey.