Service dealer/Purchase Dealer?

/ Service dealer/Purchase Dealer? #1  

KentP

I am thinking about buying a JD from one dealer for about $600 less than the JD dealer that is closer and more convenient for service.

The dealer who is giving me the better price has been VERY helpful in my purchase decision. The other dealer has been less than helpful.

The dealer who is more convenient is 20 easy four lane miles from me. The other dealer is difficult 30 mile drive. We are not talking about a HUGE difference in miles.

My question is: From your experience, should I expect to find it more difficult to get good service (non-warranty) from a dealer I did not buy the tractor from? Or will they treat me poorly? Obviously, personalities have a lot to do with this but I was just wondering if anyone has had experience in this area.

/ Service dealer/Purchase Dealer? #2  
<font color="blue"> The other dealer has been less than helpful. </font>
If the closer dealer is not being helpful with a multi-thousand dollar sale on the line, I'd be very doubtful if he will be any more helpful with service issues.

I'd work a deal with the dealer you're buying the tractor from that includes pickup and delivery, either at no or little cost.

/ Service dealer/Purchase Dealer? #3  
If the dealer isn't worth his toast on the purchase you can only expect trouble from him with service. Chances are good that you won't need the service aspect very often anyway. The only time the "convenient" dealer would get a cent of mine would be an emergency or if he had something on hand that would have to be ordered from the other guy.

/ Service dealer/Purchase Dealer? #4  
The other thing to remember is that one repair trip to a good mechanic who is far away is a lot better than three trips to a poor one who is close, but who can't seem to get things adjusted quite right.

Also, how often are you thinking you're going to be repairing this tractor anyway?

Cliff

/ Service dealer/Purchase Dealer?
Thanks for stating the obvious. Sometimes it helps to hear it from some one else to help you realize the simple truth.

I appreciate all of the information the members of this forum have taken the time to comment on. It has been a great resource during my decision making.

Hopefully soon I will be the proud owner of a JD4310.

/ Service dealer/Purchase Dealer? #6  
Kent, I was in the same boat when I finally decided to make my purchase although the "other dealer" was on the other side of the country. I wanted to purchase from the local guy for the same concerns, repairs/maintenance. Even with shipping, the savings were very significant and I offered to split the difference with my local dealer. He came back with a pitiful offer and I made my deal.
I'm very pleased with the deal I got and service work is not a big concern since NH still owns the tractor and I can always type a letter to the home office should I feel the the local dealer is not providing the customer service I expect. $600 bucks will get you another implement.

/ Service dealer/Purchase Dealer? #7  
I think its best to assume that you need to use the purchasing dealer for service. It doesn;t sound like that'd be a bad deal for you...