Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me?

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me? #1  

Yellowhair42

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 5000
I have a Ford 5000 row crop model. The end of the shifter inside the transmission keeps popping out of the shift forks leaving it unable to change gears. Then I have to take the top of the transmission off to put it back in. Any ideas on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pics of anything relevant if necessary.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me? #2  
A lot of the old Farmall H's & M's had the same problem. I've read where guy's build the end up with some weld, then grind/file it to fit.

FNH still sells new ones to replace, but, according to Messicks, and new one for the main transmission shifter is $323 + change.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me? #3  
A lot of the old Farmall H's & M's had the same problem. I've read where guy's build the end up with some weld, then grind/file it to fit.

FNH still sells new ones to replace, but, according to Messicks, and new one for the main transmission shifter is $323 + change.

Yep. Likely there's just enough wear to allow things to disconnect; I've welded and machined things like this, and then taken them apart for tweaking because I either did too much (binding) or too little (still fails), so it could be tedious. I say that because if you look at it, it will either be obvious what needs to be done, or you should have someone else do it.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me? #4  
Before you build up the lower end ball, how much play do you have in the upper ball and socket? can you push down on the shifter and easily move it up and down?
Your wear could be in both areas.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me? #5  
Before you build up the lower end ball, how much play do you have in the upper ball and socket? can you push down on the shifter and easily move it up and down?
Your wear could be in both areas.

Ditto on checking for wear in ball/socket.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me?
Still a work in progress. On the plus side, I'm getting very good and quick at removing and installing the top cover for the transmission. I put a TIG weld of .025 on the section of the plate that controls the 2nd gear and reverse locations to limit the throw. The next time it pops out(or if), I have access to a bore-scope and will look into the transmission through the fill plug to see if I can see what it's doing.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me? #7  
Still a work in progress. On the plus side, I'm getting very good and quick at removing and installing the top cover for the transmission. I put a TIG weld of .025 on the section of the plate that controls the 2nd gear and reverse locations to limit the throw. The next time it pops out(or if), I have access to a bore-scope and will look into the transmission through the fill plug to see if I can see what it's doing.
I'm with the others.
Sounds more like a shift tower issue, lower end shift lever issue than transmission problem.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me?
There is no play in the upper socket and the tip of the shift lever shows no wear.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me? #9  
There is no play in the upper socket or the tip of the shift lever.
If the socket is tight, the tip of the shift lever can wear just enough to jump past.

/ Any manual transmission gurus in here that want to help me? #10  
Feel for resistans when shifting into a gear...if no resistans the detentsprings can be broken and must be replaced