please help. i have a fuel line that i dont know what to do with. b2910

/ please help. i have a fuel line that i dont know what to do with. b2910 #1  

markturik

Tractor
kubota 2910
Need some help please. I replaced my fuel filter with a Racor. There is a third fuel line from the tank that used to go into the top of the OEM fuel filter. I am not sure if i need it (i think i do however). Is it a vent line, or, should i connect to the an inlet or outlet on the Racor. Or, should i connect it to the VENT port on the Racor? I really appreciate any help greatly. I will try to upload a picture to help clear my ramblings up a bit. Thank everybody on the forum. sincerely, mark turik.

Attachments

• fuel line 120217.jpg
    fuel line 120217.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 240
   / please help. i have a fuel line that i dont know what to do with. b2910 #2  
Need some help please. I replaced my fuel filter with a Racor. There is a third fuel line from the tank that used to go into the top of the OEM fuel filter. I am not sure if i need it (i think i do however). Is it a vent line, or, should i connect to the an inlet or outlet on the Racor. Or, should i connect it to the VENT port on the Racor? I really appreciate any help greatly. I will try to upload a picture to help clear my ramblings up a bit. Thank everybody on the forum. sincerely, mark turik.

Contact Racor tech support and ask them
racortech@parker.com

I expect the unused line is a vent line to bleed off any air in the filter before it reaches the injection pump and also somewhere for the leakage from the injectors to drain to.
However, when I quickly look at the Racor literature their vent port seems to be for brief use draining the filter by allowing air into the housing

Go to Kubotabooks.com
Download part 1 of the WSM for B1700, B2100 & B2400. I expect as far as the fuel lines and filter your tractor will be the same

Go to page 70 (acrobat page 70 manual 1-M12) where there is a very good description of the fuel filter and fuel lines.

Your injectors will have a low pressure line coming from each injector and draining somewhere. Can you tell where it drains to?

Dave M7040

/ please help. i have a fuel line that i dont know what to do with. b2910 #3  

Contact Racor tech support and ask them
racortech@parker.com

I expect the unused line is a vent line to bleed off any air in the filter before it reaches the injection pump and also somewhere for the leakage from the injectors to drain to.
However, when I quickly look at the Racor literature their vent port seems to be for brief use draining the filter by allowing air into the housing

Go to Kubotabooks.com
Download part 1 of the WSM for B1700, B2100 & B2400. I expect as far as the fuel lines and filter your tractor will be the same

Go to page 70 (acrobat page 70 manual 1-M12) where there is a very good description of the fuel filter and fuel lines.

Your injectors will have a low pressure line coming from each injector and draining somewhere. Can you tell where it drains to?

If you are concerned with water in your fuel, it makes more sense to use a water filter for any fuel going into your fuel tank.
What you are doing is allowing water into your fuel tank and hoping to intercept it before the injection pump.
This does not protect you against water freezing in the tank and blocking the outlet

Dave M7040

/ please help. i have a fuel line that i dont know what to do with. b2910
hey thanks dave, i wanted to step up fuel filtration for my tractor. it is a kubota b2910. water isnt really a problem for me. i will hook it up to the vent port om my new racor and see how that goes. i really appreciate your time and help. i will first contact racor as you suggested. mark

/ please help. i have a fuel line that i dont know what to do with. b2910 #5  
hey thanks dave, i wanted to step up fuel filtration for my tractor. it is a kubota b2910. water isnt really a problem for me. i will hook it up to the vent port om my new racor and see how that goes. i really appreciate your time and help. i will first contact racor as you suggested. mark

Mark

My concern is that on the Kubota vent outlet, there is likely some form of flow restrictor or orifice which allows air to pass through it but greatly slows down any liquid passage.

If it is just a wide open flow, your fuel pump will just be pumping the fuel around in a circle and in doing so may not provide sufficient fuel to the injection pump.

Let me also add that you may be going in the opposite direction to your goal of stepping up the fuel filtration.

There are engineers who spend their whole working lives on filtration. For example, did you know a dirty filter does a better job at removing tiny particles in either a liquid or air. This seems opposite to what is common knowledge but it is true and countless experiments have proven it. Such engineers work for companies like Kubota.

The real reason to change a filter is when it is causing too great a restriction to flow.

Large engines, such as on a cargo ship, never change their oil. Their filters are monitored for pressure drop through the filter to decide when to change the element.

Please let us know about the info you get from Raccor.

Dave M7040

/ please help. i have a fuel line that i dont know what to do with. b2910
great post dave!

i learned several things. perhaps i would be better to just block off the l/8" fuel line from the vent to the fuel tank. everything is running just fine and i can get the air out of the filter buy taking out the event plug if i ever need to. unless you see this as a mistake, it seems that this will be my best option. and thanks again dave. i really learned from your post. mark

/ please help. i have a fuel line that i dont know what to do with. b2910 #7  
great post dave!

i learned several things. perhaps i would be better to just block off the l/8" fuel line from the vent to the fuel tank. everything is running just fine and i can get the air out of the filter buy taking out the event plug if i ever need to. unless you see this as a mistake, it seems that this will be my best option. and thanks again dave. i really learned from your post. mark

Mark
I have been looking for a fuel filter system descriptive diagram to help both of us understand what Kubota's design is trying to accomplish but have had no success.

Lets review what might happen if the extra line is attached to the vent. Possibly not enough fuel to feed the injection pump.

If the line is not attached, then the possibility of air getting into the injection system and stopping the motor. This would be a good time to review the injection system bleeding procedure for your tractor so you are prepared should something go wrong.

Conducting some experiments with the extra line might give you useful into. Attach a small funnel to the filter end of the extra line and see how quickly or slowly the line will let a fluid, i.e. diesel flow into the tank.

If fuel flows quickly through the line then clearly, if there is a restriction as I suspect, it must be in the filer housing itself. You may be able to see the small orifice if you look both inside the housing and down into the port from the outside.

Lastly, make a test rig where you can flow diesel through the original filter. A long rubber hose and a funnel 18" above the filter housing would simulate the pump delivering fuel to the filter. Now you can see how much liquid comes out the line to the injection pump compared to the third line.

On a much earlier generation of tractors, there would be two filters side by side with metal sided replaceable cartridges. On the top of each filter housing there was a banjo bolt which led to the fuel tank. On the filter closest to the fuel tank the banjo bolt securing the fitting had a .030 orifice to restrict flow. On the first filter in the line, there was no restriction. Lastly, the line venting the filters extended to the bottom of the fuel tank. Over the years, this line would fail and fall to the bottom of the fuel tank. There was no external leak to indicate a problem. However, the owner would start experiencing air problems and have to be constantly bleeding the injection system. The design anticipated fuel cooling down when the engine was stopped and the vent line to the bottom of the fuel tank drew fuel back through the vent line keeping the system air free. When the vent line was above the fuel level in the tank because the line had broken off inside the tank, now air was drawn back into the system.

A lot of rambling on to try and show systems are often more complicated then they look.

Dave M7040