Joy stick not working

/ Joy stick not working #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
So I have a new holland Boomer 24. It has 150 hrs on it and is 2 years old.

Today I was out moving manure. Temp was 18f. Engine fired up no problem. I let it warm up for 10 min or so while a took care of a few things.

Spent ~20 min moving manure from the manure pile into the trash bin.

The joy stick that controls the bucket stopped responding properly. Originally it would move front-back-left-right and snap back to center when I let go of it.

Now it just flops all over the place. I have no control over the bucket. I can get a tiny bit of curl out of it.

Any thoughts what is wrong and is it easy to fix? We are supposed to get 12 inches of snow in the next 2 days.

/ Joy stick not working #2  
G'day I have had problems with those joysticks where the bolts come loose under the rubber boot if you lift the boot you will see the bolts I mean

Jon

/ Joy stick not working #3  
If joystick is cable operated check to be sure cable clamps are still tight or not broken.

/ Joy stick not working
Thanks guys. I will look at those when I get home. Of course that is my primary snow removal tool and we are supposed to get 12 inches in the next couple days. Since work is busy I will call the dealer too and see if they can get out and fix. Sometimes you have to spend money because you don't have the time to look at it....

/ Joy stick not working #5  
Pull up the boot and look. Ours has come loose before.

/ Joy stick not working
Ok so yesterday dealer came out and replaced the joy stick. Underneath it has four little balls. When you move the joy stick in a particular direction depressing that ball somehow activates the hydraulics to raise/lower/curl.

When the tractor was working the stick would move forward/back/left/right or at 45 degree angles so you could lift/curl at the same time.

The original symptom of a problem was that moving the stick to the right it was lose and would basically move at the 45 degree angle. If you wanted to go dead right you had to play with it. After a few times of doing that the entire thing broke and I lost all control of the bucket.

I was at work when the repair was done. I came home and of course wanted to use the tractor. It is cold here. It was about 18 degrees F when I fired her up. I let it warm up and the warm up time ended up being about 20 min. I did some other chores in the mean time.

After 10 minutes of pushing snow around (about 3-4 inches fell) the stick his having the beginnings of the same problem to the right. So rather than push it I just put the tractor back in the barn.

I will call the service department again this AM when they open.

Any ideas what else they should look at as replacing the stick clearly did not solve the problem?

/ Joy stick not working #7  
Put some heat on the working part of the joystick and see if that helps.

/ Joy stick not working
Happy to report problem solved. Bolt on bottom of the assembly had come loose. A known prob on this machine. Used a dab of lock tight and all is good.

/ Joy stick not working #9  
Help.... Kubota l4740 joy stick for the loader feels really stiff and to use the bucket curl function I almost have to use two hands. I never really looked at it yet but we were in a deep freeze here at -10 to -25 celsius the last two week. I will try getting at it with the heat gun and see if that helps but does anybody else have a suggestion.

/ Joy stick not working #10  
If the joystick is anything like mine cables run to the actuators which operate the hydraulics. The cables can get moisture in them and rust or freeze up. Lube could help or some heat to warm/dry them out. In my case the cable rusted and snapped. I replaced the cable but getting the joystick back together was a pita!