Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kubota, Massey, Iseki

Default Re: Filled tire leaking

Quote Originally Posted by fried1765 View Post
    Per Goeduck: "making it ideal for filling agricultural implement tires as a liquid ballast"

You kidding me?
    "Ideal" ..... bah humbug!
    CaCl is from days of old!
    It will rot/corrode your steel wheels.
    The preferred product of modern times is "beet juice" (expensive).
    Windshield washer (methanol mix) fluid is a much less expensive option, though it weighs 2+ lbs./gal. less than either "beet juice", or CaCl.
    Agree. My post was just how wikipedia.com described it. I don’t know that it would damage his jacket which was the question. Unless I guess he has a full metal jacket
    Last edited by goeduck; 01-17-2018 at 01:43 AM.

Tractor
    Kubota M7-171, Kubota M110GX, IH 4386, IH1486, Case 301.8, Kubota L6060, plus many others

CaCl is actually still used quite often but small tractors use beet juice as they don't need so much fluid. Tubes are worse than tubeless. The oxygen in water is in the compound H2O and is not free oxygen. According to tire companies Firestone and Titan (which also includes Goodyear in the USA) unprotected areas of the rim will only get flash rust before free oxygen is depleted. Tubes tires are prone to slipping under high torque which can damage a tube stem causing a leak. Free oxygen can get into the tire around the stem hole and rust out rims. I've seen older tractors with the rim completely eroded from rust - all tube equipped.

If you didn't get a fluid compatible gauge it will rust. The proper way to check fluid filled tires is with the stem at 12, then press the core to let the fluid blast out so you get air to check. Inflation pressures are the same for fluid except the Tire & Rim Association says the weight of liquid ballast needs to be included in machine weight.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL6060

Tractor
    New Holland 2120

I got liquid gauge from Tractor Supply. Thw tire should say tube or tubless. Will look again.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti 2610HST, Toro Titan ZX 5400 w Kawaski

Many tubeless tires are retrofitted with tubes particularly front tires. My old 5030 Ford was a 1994 and it had tubeless rears and tubed front tires. Liquid filled rears but I never knew what it was they were filled with and those rear tires were original and still holding air when I traded it this past fall. The front tires had seen many a new tube. And a couple of new tires. Almost every time I bush hogged I had to fix one of those darn things. I do not miss them. Three ribbed ag tires.

Tractor
    New Holland 2120

I am lucky. Been using this like a 4 wheeler. Spends most of the time in the woods.

Can I tell by valve stem, if tube or tubeless?

As for jacket, I washed it. Last American carhartt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123