Filled tire leaking

/ Filled tire leaking #1  

Zerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 2120
Rear tire looked low. I had to use channel locks on valve stem cap. Whole thing came loose and fluid started coming put.

Screwed back in. Put air in, and started making. Tightened stem, checked psi, leakd again, tightened.

Last owner said tires were not filled. Was clear and salty. Salt water.

I am on now? Embarrassed to admit never checked tires. I think it measured 3 psi after air. But it started squirting water on my hands. Single digit temps.

1995 new Holland 2120. Probably original.

What psi with fluid?

Thanks.

/ Filled tire leaking
By chance was at 12:00. Reading, I am guessing calcium chloride. Should I wash my jacket?

/ Filled tire leaking
Going to sound stupid, but I can't tell what they should inflated to in manual. I do read 8-18, no psi. Somewhere in there based on weight and load?

/ Filled tire leaking #4  
Calcium chloride is pretty much kind of a corrosive. Yeah I'd clean up real good /take a shower. Can't really tell you what psi you need. I generally run about 20-25 psi in my rear tractor tires. If you continue to have leak issues you may need a new valve stem. When adding air to a tire with fluid in it, you always want the valve stem up as high as the time rotation will allow. This will help prevent the fluid from trying to leak when adding air. You also get a bonus, you don't have to bend over as far (lol).

/ Filled tire leaking #5  
It's important with tires filled with something corrosive like Calcium Choride to keep them filled to the proper level. You want as much of that rim submerged as possible. Exposure to air will start the corrosion process. You also need to rinse off any parts of the tractor that may have calcium chloride on them. Not sure how you do that in single digit temps, but at least get the worst of it off.

As for your clothing, just rinse it thoroughly to get the worst of it out, then wash it.

/ Filled tire leaking #6  
Could be just a bad valve. How does the wheel itself look regarding rust?

/ Filled tire leaking
Haven't had tire off. But looks good from outside.

This thread is 2 point. I am not sure how to deal with fluid filled tires. Check at 1200.

Can i just add air?

/ Filled tire leaking #8  
Haven't had tire off. But looks good from outside.

This thread is 2 point. I am not sure how to deal with fluid filled tires. Check at 1200.

Can i just add air?
Yes you can add air. The deal is you want to drive/rotate the tire so that the valve stem is up as high as the tire rotation will allow. Or to put it differently as you look at the tire/wheel, imagine it is a clock. You want your valve stem in the 12 o'clock position.

/ Filled tire leaking #9  
Yes you can add air. The deal is you want to drive/rotate the tire so that the valve stem is up as high as the tire rotation will allow. Or to put it differently as you look at the tire/wheel, imagine it is a clock. You want your valve stem in the 12 o'clock position.

This is the right advice. Just add air as stated. If you have a leak other than the valve stem it will be difficult to deal with because of the weight of the tire and the fact it would all have to come apart to get at the tube for a patch. If the wheel ever is too rusty you need to get looking for a replacement ASAP because they are a proprietary, rather than universal style, and are difficult to find. You have to find a used one but since there were a lot of 2110 and 2120's made, that shouldn't be too hard.

I found that 1960's-1970's JD weights fit the rear of my 2110 so if you have to get the fluid out that's a possible plan B.

/ Filled tire leaking #10  
As you stated air pressure in liquid filled tires should be the same as air only filled tires depending on weight on attachment on 3 pt hitch. Back when I PDI'd tractors with liquid filled R-1 bias ply tires at dealership I just added air until outside of cleat just started to clear floor and pressure will be close to 16-18 psi.