JD 1070 charge light help?

/ JD 1070 charge light help? #1  

Zeke56

Tractor
JD 1070
For the last 5 or 6 years, I've replaced 4 regulators. Alternator has been checked and confirmed good.
Fan belt tension, fine. Last year, no light would come on until 2100 rpms without lights. With lights, it would come on around 1600 rpms. This year, the charge light comes on around 1600 rpms with no lights. With lights, it's on regardless of rpms. Now, after another brand new regulator the other day, the charge light still comes on with lights and no charge light until maybe 2100 rpms without lights.
Disclaimer: I put 3 auxiliary tractor lights on this tractor many years ago. It ran with no issues for years with the exception of maybe one or two new regulators? I'm planning to switch out those lights to LEDs, but ultimately wondering what the electrical issue is here?
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.
(Scratching my head)

/ JD 1070 charge light help? #2  
I don't have your answer, but I have a PDF of the Deere tech manual you're welcome to.Shooy me your email if wanted

Joe

/ JD 1070 charge light help?
Thanks for the offer, Joe.
I think that I have a copy of the tech manual.
Just don't know where to look to find the problem.
If I knew what was causing this, I'm pretty sure I could fix it.
Thanks again,

/ JD 1070 charge light help? #4  
If you can mount an automobile alternator (a "Delcotron") with built in regulator/rectifier, you can leave of all of the external stuff. We used to stick those on anything! (I know of at least one person who put one on their airplane.)

/ JD 1070 charge light help? #5  
Have you checked the battery cables and BOTH ends (especially the ground). Mine comes on once in a while. The terminal on my VR got so hot once that it melted the insulation and terminal off at the regulator.

/ JD 1070 charge light help? #6  
Check grounds especially frame to engine. Check the indicator light circuit as well as the actual bulb to make sure it's the correct one, I believe the bulb is not just an indicator, it's actually part of the charging circuit correct Ω is important............Mike

/ JD 1070 charge light help? #7  
The charge light is turned off by two positive voltages. One positive comes from the key switch and the other comes from the alternator. When the alternator is not charging that circuit is negative and the light turns on. As the alternator starts charging that circuit becomes positive and turns the light off.

The first thing I would do is take a multi meter and check the actual volts that you are getting at the alternator and at the battery. There might be nothing wrong with the alternator and the fault might be all in the charge light circuit.

I would get those added lights out of the circuit, and then check all your connections including grounds. The next thing I would do is look more closely at the alternator. I believe it is actually more of a dynamo since it only puts out an AC voltage. If you have the tech manual, go through the trouble shooting procedures on the alternator. I don't know its ratings, but it would be interesting to see what it does under various loads. I know you've had it tested, but I just have my doubts about it if all connections are good.

I see that the Tractordata website lists the electrical system at 20 amps with 35* also listed. Could it be a 20 amp alternator installed but using a 35 amp regulator?
Thanks for the help. I'll have to dig into the tech manual. The alternator has a clean ground (when checked last year) and a plug in harness. The tractor does have both a 20 amp alternator and regulator installed.
I plan on taking off the added lights and going back to basics (to check) before I add the LED lights. Hopefully, they'll draw a lot less? The interesting thing is that the lights I originally added, worked fine for several years.

Have you checked the battery cables and BOTH ends (especially the ground). Mine comes on once in a while. The terminal on my VR got so hot once that it melted the insulation and terminal off at the regulator.
Yes, thanks. Both ends are kept clean and covered with dielectric grease as are the terminals.

Check grounds especially frame to engine. Check the indicator light circuit as well as the actual bulb to make sure it's the correct one, I believe the bulb is not just an indicator, it's actually part of the charging circuit correct Ω is important............Mike
Thanks, Mike. I'll have to look for the frame to engine ground. The indicator light bulb is the original. Not sure if it's part of the charging circuit or not? I will pull the dash and take a look at the circuit.