Ford 3930 MFWA oil pan removal

/ Ford 3930 MFWA oil pan removal #1  

awhite

Tractor
Kubota M6800/Kubota L3830/MKubota M8560 CAB/Kubota ZD221/Kubota BX1500/Ford 3930
We've got a Ford 3930 MFWA that seems to be leaking engine oil from the back of the oil pan. I figured it probably needs a new gasket. We just recently acquired this tractor about a year ago. It's got around ~600 hours but has spent most of it's life outside. Replacing the gasket seems pretty straight forward but removing it looks like will be a different story. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience doing this. Looks to me like the axle will have to dropped a few inches to reach the front bolts retaining the oil pan. Any advice will be well received! Thanks!!

/ Ford 3930 MFWA oil pan removal #2  
Split the engine block from the front bolster. Keep both aligned with longer bolts or dowels. FYI your leak is more likely to be the rear main seal leaking through the cork gasket between the block and rear cover plate. From there it runs down and looks like the rear side of the pan gasket has failed. YMMV.

/ Ford 3930 MFWA oil pan removal
Thank you! I'm hoping it's the oil pan because the engine oil is low. But I'll inspect further on your advice.

/ Ford 3930 MFWA oil pan removal #4  
Rear main seal leak would also deplete the engine oil. It would be to your benefit if you were right and I were mistaken.

Thanks! Is there any way to tell for sure, like an inspection port somewhere? I got the loader removed last night and tried looking a little bit but ran out of time.

I found an inspection port on the right front side of the bell housing. Didn't see any oil on the flywheel so I figured the rear main seal probably wasn't leaking. After finally removing the oil pan, the gasket on the back side was pretty well shot, so I'm glad that I won't have to be splitting the tractor, not yet anyways! We got a new gasket yesterday, so hopefully we can start re-assembly in the next day or two.

Attachments

• 2018-01-22 20.08.11.png
    2018-01-22 20.08.11.png
    616.9 KB · Views: 176