IH 254

/ IH 254 #1  

dwc67

Tractor
IH 254
I have a IH 254 compact. I am replacing glow plugs. I have replaced glow plug indicator/resistor before and has gone out again. Due to cost, is this really necessary? If so, does anyone know the resistance of the coil. If so, Im sure I can find aftermarket for much cheaper.

/ IH 254 #2  
I own a Mitsubishi MTE 2000D which is a very close match to your 254. I am occasionally in the same boat as you, in that I have burned out the wire in several glow plug indicators. I have read several times that using your glow plugs w/o the resistance it will burn your plugs out but I don't really know what happens without it?? I too have thought about just buying resistance wire. I have no real idea what the resistance is supposed to be but found this on Ebay and am going to give it a try.Nichrome 6 resistance wire, 16 AWG (gauge), 1 feet | eBay I figure a guy could make a lot of coils out of 10' and if it doesn't work, I'm only out $9.50.

/ IH 254
It's very close. Mitsubishi actually supplied these engines. Thanks for your input. Coil is broken very near the end. Think I will pull it and ohm it out. Doing this, I'm sure that I could get very close using your suggestion.

/ IH 254 #4  
I have a 234 a little smaller tractor but same glow plug setup, about 7 years ago l replaced the glow plugs and removed the gp indicator and have had no glow plug problems. I just energize them longer as the temperature drops. It started at 10 deg, no block heater or battery maintainer. I put a short bolt and nut on the eyelet terminals and taped it good.

/ IH 254
Thanks for the help. First forum I've ever used. This has been very helpful. Will definitely continue to count on you guys. And will update as I proceed.

/ IH 254 #7  
I've got a question.
My 254 is stuck in High range. Runs perfect, shifts perfect, but stuck in high. Any suggestions??

/ IH 254 #8  
Will the range shifter move but not change range gears? If so, the likely issue is that the pin that slides the range gear has broken off the shift lever shaft. Very easy to fix; drain hydraulic fluid, take top off trans, fish pin out, take shaft out of the side of trans case and weld back on. Had the same issue about 10 yrs ago and no problems since.

If the range shift lever is frozen/ stuck, drain fluid, take the top off the trans, look for obvious issues while trying to move the range shift lever.

If you need a diagram of the shift mechanism, you can find one here Case Parts | Buy Online & Save when you get into the 254 diagrams, go to "drive train" and look at section 07-37.....part # 29 holds the pin referenced above.