Angle Grinder key

/ Angle Grinder key #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Can someone tell me what kind of tool you use to change out the wheels on an angle grinder? I have a B & D 4.5" grinder that I have used mostly for sharpening the blades on my brush hog. I needed to put a new wheel on it and could not find the "tool" that I know I must have, but I can't remember what it looks like!!

I know it must have something that locks into 4 holes on the bottom of the wheel.

/ Angle Grinder key #2  
There are 2 versions, if you're B&D grinder has the "Spindel lock" button you only need the Pin wrench. The Pin wrench has 2 pins at a right angle to the handle. The overall length is around 8" or less.
The other version needs 2 wrenches. The Pin wrench and a open-ended slim wrench that fits the flats on the spindel of the grinder. It also is about 8" or less in length. Both wrench styles are very thin, about the thickness of a Quarter. At least on the one's at work and the 2 I have.
Hope you find them....you could make do without them,but it's a LOT easier with the right tools.
Lloyd

/ Angle Grinder key #3  
Lock the spindle and turn the wheel in the oposite direction and it will come right off. I rarely use the spanner as I never know where its at. Just don't loose the lock nut like I did. $10.10 plus shipping to replace it.

Good luck

Kevin

/ Angle Grinder key #4  
like others said above, also if you can't get it off still use a pair of vicegrips the 10R work well. lock them on the nut and back it off...

not sure but there were some makitas or other brand I believe that were revers thread, they didn't last long in our shop...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Angle Grinder key
I tried getting it off without the tool, but so far its too tight. It does have the lockdown button, so I guess its one tool. At least now I sorta know what to look for.

/ Angle Grinder key #6  
Alan for years I used a tool I made out of a piece of hardwood flooring and large enough nails to fit in two holes of the grinder. Just nail thru the board and cut off the excess nail. The prongs will work just like the Ten dollar wrench.

/ Angle Grinder key #7  
I made mine from a pc of flat iron and two machine screws. I thought the one I lost would show up after I made the new but that was years ago and it is yet to make an appearance!
Leo