New Holland TC45DA starting troubles.....

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #1  

gooffer69

Tractor
TZ18DA, TC45DA
Nope it's not the temp that is the problem... it's some resistance somewhere.

Battery checks good, Glow checks good, Starter has already been changed, 8A fuse with replay has been changed.

I turn the key, orange glow lights will come and she starts.... well sometimes she does. Other times I hear a click from the solanoid of the starter, then most of the time the only way to start her is to turn the ignition key off/on very very fast 3,4,5 times until she either starts of the fuse relay cuts off the ignition. Wait a few seconds until I hear click from fuse replay under speedo and try again. Normally after 3-4 attempts and may fast on offs she will start.

Not today, I tried for 15min pausing every not and then for a bit, click, click that's it. Not temps today were in the 40's not very cold, temps does effect it somewhere the resistance is increasing.... I can't figure it out.

I have checked the 40A fuse above the starter and cleaned it's terminals, I have cleaned and checked the 8A relay fuse under the dash.... I have not looked at ignition key as I don't think 40A that goes to starter is passing thru that. I have checked battery terminals. Anyone know how this circuit works ? where to check resistance ? Don't have manual in front of me is the starter grounded by being attached to the motor or does it have separate ground ?

Any ideas on how to test things ? The starter I took off did the same thing, I was 100% sure I had a bad solanoid... well no dice

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles.....
Oh and all the safety BS things are not it, it's in neutral, no PTO engaged, and seat switch has been eliminated

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #3  
On my TC40 DA the PTO engagement lever drifts off of the back (off) position and the safety switch won't let the starter crank until I move the lever back to the off position. Also won't crank if the transmission is not in neutral. Once in a while I have to wiggle the trans. selector.

If you provide power directly to the solenoid, bypassing the key, does it crank? That would mean that there is a problem with the ignition switch or one of the safety switches.

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #4  
I agree with eddie48. Check your ignition switch. It may be breaking down inside and not supplying 12V to the starter solenoid. You can test this by supplying 12V directly from the battery to the starter solenoid where the small wire attaches. If that engages the starter and spins it over you've found the problem.

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #5  
I found on my TC29Da that disabling the seat switch would not work. It would start and run for a few seconds and then shut off.
I mention this thinking it might have something to do with your issue as there seems to be some logic in the start circuit that can't be defeated.
I realize that it is very unlikely to have anything to do with your problem but may put you on the right troubleshooting path.

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #6  
Although I sold my TC45A a few months ago, I had a similar issue with mine. I seem to remember that is was something with the starter solenoid. I had brought it to the dealer for some other maintenance and they were aware of the issue and knew what to do to fix it. Maybe check with a local dealer/mechanic to see if they have seen something similar.

Edit.....Went back and found a post I made about this issue. The dealer added a 'starter relay'.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/353705-3-point-hitch-hops.html?highlight=

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #7  
We have a TC40D and have experienced this problem. Since there are multiple safety switches, bad/corroded connections on them can cause a voltage drop on the line going to the starter and keep it from starting.

Checking it by taking a hot wire from the battery to the small wire location on the starter will help you narrow it down. If it starts with the hot wire, it may be the safety switches and/or connections.

We bypassed the switches and installed a relay to start ours - works everytime

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #8  
I agree with eddie48. Check your ignition switch. It may be breaking down inside and not supplying 12V to the starter solenoid. You can test this by supplying 12V directly from the battery to the starter solenoid where the small wire attaches. If that engages the starter and spins it over you've found the problem.

I have had starting issues since I purchased my 2000 New Holland TC45D about a year ago. It has 1366 hours. Every so often when I try to start the tractor, I turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go out and then turn the key to start and there is a click and no start. The instrument panel lights flicker and you can hear a wine in the fuse area. At this point, the instrument panel lights do not light up as normal. When I turn the key, the glow plug light does not come on, the Oil light is on and the battery light is dim. Only if I disconnect the battery for a few seconds will the lights go back to normal when I try to start the tractor. (glow plug on, oil light on and battery light on)

It used to blow the 2nd fuse in from the left which was a 10 amp fuse. I replaced it with a 15 and it solved the issue for a while.

I took off the starter, connected it to power and it spun and seemed to work fine.

I reinstalled the starter, turned the key on 1/2 way to let the glow plug light warm up and go out, tried to bridge the power from the starter to the 12v solenoid and "click", it did exactly what it does when I try to supply power to the starter with the key. Instrument panel changes, there is a wine, will not start.

I really don't think its the battery although I have not tried jumping the tractor. I did try starting it with a car charger "start aid" setting, it did the same thing, need to disconnect the battery to reset, than try to play with fuses,

This issue has happened after washing the tractor. I think its an electrical issue but haven't found any frayed wires.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

John

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #9  
I have had starting issues since I purchased my 2000 New Holland TC45D about a year ago. It has 1366 hours. Every so often when I try to start the tractor, I turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go out and then turn the key to start and there is a click and no start. The instrument panel lights flicker and you can hear a wine in the fuse area. At this point, the instrument panel lights do not light up as normal. When I turn the key, the glow plug light does not come on, the Oil light is on and the battery light is dim. Only if I disconnect the battery for a few seconds will the lights go back to normal when I try to start the tractor. (glow plug on, oil light on and battery light on)

It used to blow the 2nd fuse in from the left which was a 10 amp fuse. I replaced it with a 15 and it solved the issue for a while.

I took off the starter, connected it to power and it spun and seemed to work fine.

I reinstalled the starter, turned the key on 1/2 way to let the glow plug light warm up and go out, tried to bridge the power from the starter to the 12v solenoid and "click", it did exactly what it does when I try to supply power to the starter with the key. Instrument panel changes, there is a wine, will not start.

I really don't think its the battery although I have not tried jumping the tractor. I did try starting it with a car charger "start aid" setting, it did the same thing, need to disconnect the battery to reset, than try to play with fuses,

This issue has happened after washing the tractor. I think its an electrical issue but haven't found any frayed wires.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
John

/ New Holland TC45DA starting troubles..... #10  
I replaced the neutral start relay (mounted on firewall) on my NH1920 and it solved most of my electrical start problems. You might want to replace the one on your TC45 as a start, or try and troubleshoot the other relays.