Mitsubishi D1500 steering box

/ Mitsubishi D1500 steering box #1  

DiWil35

Tractor
Mitsubishi D1500
Hello, I have a question for a Mitsubishi D1500 compact tractor. Recently the mechanical steering box was acting up where if I turn to one side it is fine but if I turn the other way I feel a fair amount of resistance. Thinking maybe the steering linkages might be bent or binding up, I checked that and nothing seems to be bent or binding up. I disconnected the steering box from the front wheels and the steering wheel seem to now spin freely in either direction. When I apply pressure to the output of the steering box, it seems the symptoms return where I can turn fine one way but encounter resistance in the other direction. I suspect perhaps something is binding up or worn in the steering box. I pulled the entire steering box assembly off the tractor, there is not much to it. Looking at the writing I see NSK 6Z22 engraved on the steering box. I included a image of the steering box hopefully if you can see it. So I wonder at this moment if anyone knows where I can get a replacement or possibly a rebuild. I live in the Texas area.

I realize this tractor seems to be a odd tractor, depending on what part you might need it might be rare to nonexistent finding it like this steering box.

IMG_7278.JPGIMG_7278.JPG

/ Mitsubishi D1500 steering box #2  
Hello, I have a question for a Mitsubishi D1500 compact tractor. Recently the mechanical steering box was acting up where if I turn to one side it is fine but if I turn the other way I feel a fair amount of resistance. Thinking maybe the steering linkages might be bent or binding up, I checked that and nothing seems to be bent or binding up. I disconnected the steering box from the front wheels and the steering wheel seem to now spin freely in either direction. When I apply pressure to the output of the steering box, it seems the symptoms return where I can turn fine one way but encounter resistance in the other direction. I suspect perhaps something is binding up or worn in the steering box. I pulled the entire steering box assembly off the tractor, there is not much to it. Looking at the writing I see NSK 6Z22 engraved on the steering box. I included a image of the steering box hopefully if you can see it. So I wonder at this moment if anyone knows where I can get a replacement or possibly a rebuild. I live in the Texas area.

I realize this tractor seems to be a odd tractor, depending on what part you might need it might be rare to nonexistent finding it like this steering box.

View attachment 537679View attachment 537679

A forum member Piloon seems knowledgeable about Mitsubishi products and contacting him might yield good suppliers

Dave M7040

/ Mitsubishi D1500 steering box #3  
Before I even thought about replacing the whole box, I would completely disassemble it and check it out. It may be something as cheap and easy as replacing bearings in the column. If it's something serious and you cant find parts Sheaffer's Town & Country Tractor may be able to rebuild it. If you do have to replace it, Mitsubishi probably made several models that use that same steering box. If you could figure out what those models might be, it can broaden your ability to find a replacement.

/ Mitsubishi D1500 steering box #4  
Piloon here, thanks for the boost but I'm no expert, just a DIY guy that stayed at the Holliday Inn.

OK, I own a Mitsu and consider myself fairly mechanical and having a set of manuals helps a lot.

There are however a couple of members that do specialize in Mitsubishi salvage parts that I'm sure will respond.

NSK--- sounds like a bearing# to me.
Just looked at the parts diagram for my model and there are a bunch of bearing 'balls' in there. Other than that I don't see what else could cause your symptom. i.e. corroded or mashed balls.
Actually disassembly and cleaning looks rather straight forward.

Bet water got in there and some 'balls' are rusted.

/ Mitsubishi D1500 steering box
Thanks for the replies, I will take the gearbox apart and see what surprises there might be inside

I have torn down the gearbox and this is what I found.
It looks like the actual gears for the steering move smoothly and freely however the bearing that hold the shaft for the steering wheel have broken apart.

If you look at the pictures, the first picture is what the steering wheel connects to but on the opposite side, don't mind the dirt I dropped it on the ground :). This gear works fine. If you look carefully at the second picture, looking just below the steering gear we find a ball bearing cage which has came apart, I think I found my problem! And the third picture we see the steering column attaches to the actual gear box, there was some slight traces of water in there. Nothing looked rusted except for the steering column which rusted a hole into it.

IMG_7283.JPGIMG_7284.JPGIMG_7286.JPG

/ Mitsubishi D1500 steering box #7  
Hey, take the bearing bits to a bearing shop and they will match it for you.
GBS is a good one if there is one nearby.
Otherwise using a micrometer measure inner and outer and buy online.

Good luck, you are on a winning curve.

/ Mitsubishi D1500 steering box #8  
I see the problem, you had a tree branch stuck inside :)

Piloon, is it possible that there is a recirculating ball system making up the engagement between the steering shaft worm and the output shaft sector, the outer part with the gear teeth?

mDMWSlH.jpg

Rusted recirculating balls don't help but also there is usually a tube or two just outside the sector which returns the balls to the upper level to start their journey again. Damaged or missing tube(s) will cause serious problems.

There seems to be a lot of grease in the box and I don't see any rust.

Clean the grease off and take pictures from several angles

Dave M7040

/ Mitsubishi D1500 steering box #9  
I suspected that was the issue....been there, done that. Depending on supplier, I have paid between $30 and $50 for two new bearings ( might as well replace top AND bottom bearings now). Scheaffer's Town and Country from my previous post can supply new ones but it IS cheaper if you can just match the bearing. My steering box uses a NSK VBT17Z-2 , available here Deep groove ball bearing VBT17Z-2-NSK from $13.39
| 123Bearing
for $13 each. Don't know if that is your bearing but I suspect it is. If you can read the number on your old bearing, than would be great. If not, try to measure your old one. The VBT17Z-2 dimensions are on the above link. The bottom bearing can be a bugger to remove the race. I had to run a bead with a MIG welder around the inside of the race to remove it from the cup it sits in. If the top bearing isn't cooperative, just carefully cut it off with an angle grinder, then polish the steering shaft before installing the new one.

I will look into degreasing and identifying the parts better here however I will be stepping out for about a week starting tomorrow, and I'd like to thank everyone for all the help here, thanks!