Finding the right pulley

/ Finding the right pulley #1  

texasranger556

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4400
I recently picked up a basket case Lesco commercial zero turn mower for cheap. Allegedly it had been sitting a couple years because the right hydro pump had died. They had the pump out already before I got it, and they couldn't find the pulley, fan, key, and nut to go with it. No big deal I thought for the price I paid. The pump looks repairable for about $40 in parts. Finally found what I believe to be the correct pulley through Cub Cadet PN 01006799 which sells for $100. I'm cheap (hence buying this POS in the first place) and I have another mower to use if this project lasts into the spring, so trying to find a cheaper alternative. The pulley and fan on the left pump is still installed, but that pulley could stand to be replaced due to some dents. $200 for pulleys seems a bit ridiculous.

The pump shaft is tapered with a keyway. It measures 15 mm at the large end and 11 mm at the small end of the taper. Taper is 20 mm long, so that works out to .125"/in which matches SAE 744 pump taper shafts. The keyway slot is 4.75 mm. The threads are 3/8-24 right hand. I found a copy of SAE 744 JUN96 here but can't find a match to what I have. The tapered shafts threads jump from 5/16" to 1/2", so it seems some sort of oddball.

This pulley from surplus center is the closest I've found googling, but it's out of stock and 1" larger diameter at 5.5" vs 4.5" on my machine.

Any suggestions how to find the correct pulley?

Attachments

• IMG_20180214_002633.jpg
    IMG_20180214_002633.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 192
   / Finding the right pulley #2  
Mower repair business is slow right now so they might have time to contact their recources and make a few bucks. Call a mower repair shop and offer $xx if he can source one. Tell him you will pay before he has it shipped.
We know the same pulley is used for a number of other applications,look's similar to main drive on a vertical engine lawn tractor. Contact the seller and offer $XX if they can find it.

/ Finding the right pulley
Can't find anyone real interested in digging deeper than a cross reference chart.

/ Finding the right pulley #4  
For the one that you do have, but needs replaced, why not cut out the hub and weld it to a cheap steel pulley?

Yes, that would work. I've considered that approach for both pumps if I can find any size pulley or sprocket with the right taper to cut the center from and re-weld into a steel 4.5" pulley.

I believe the pump shaft conforms to a SAE J477 16-3 (A) for taper and keyway dimensions but not thread diameter (which doesn't really matter in this case). However, even with that info it's a hard thing to search because there are lots of SAE tapers and anything including "taper pulley" brings up thousands of hits on split taper pulleys and bushings.

/ Finding the right pulley #6  
If you have the part numbers then put them in the search bar on ebay and change the sort method to lowest price and shipping first. I have done this with all the mower parts I buy and often find them for a fraction of the cost from a dealer.

If you have the part numbers then put them in the search bar on ebay and change the sort method to lowest price and shipping first. I have done this with all the mower parts I buy and often find them for a fraction of the cost from a dealer.
It's only about $10 cheaper each through eBay, so still $180 for two pulleys.

Number is in the first post but I guess it's hidden amidst my rambling.

Cub Cadet 01006799

As mentioned, the mower is a Lesco Z2 60" which is supposedly identical to the Cub Cadet Tank M60. Used model 53AH5D8X750 to find the pulley number on partstree. As far as I can tell, the diagrams match my machine.