How to fix small leaks around drain plugs?

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #1  

MrMagoo

Tractor
Kubota L2050dt
Hi all,

Just changed all my fluids and filters yesterday. This am I noticed that 1 of my oil drain plugs and 1 of my transmission drain plugs had small leaks. I tried to tighten them more but small leaks still remain. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to stop these? The kubota oil and hydraulic fluid was expensive. Heh.

Thanks

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #2  
Is this a threaded pipe plug style drain.. or some kind of bung plug with a gasket. If a gasket job.. can you cut some gasket paper to add another layer? Are the mating surfaces clean?

If a threaded pipe style plug, I've used a aiphetic ptfe resin rated for gas oil and water from the hardware store. For metal pipe.. etc. Good thick stuff to pucky up the threads with. Did that on the diffy plug on my 1954 NAA Also did the paper gasket deal on the large 2" bung on my oil pan.

Good luck.

Soundguy

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #3  
Permatex Aviation #3 gasket cement is also good. It stays in liquid form, resists oils and only alcohol will cut it. BTW many oil pan plug gaskets are made out of aluminum. Which ever product you decide to use, be care not to goop up the threads so much that it comes off and contaminates the main reservoir supply.

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #4  
Good point. I should have mentioned that I only goop the bottom half of the threads.. and then wipe with my finger so that the material is only 'between' the threads.

Aluminum... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Most of my tractors are so old they have leather gaskets!

Soundguy

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #5  
The many uses of leather. BTW Thrift stores can be pretty good sources of the solid, not laminated leather. Coats and belts can be bought cheap and then cut up or hole punched. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #6  
I've bought bulk leather from tandy before.. as well as 'whitw' and tanned leather from fleamarkets before. Usually the ones that have overseas import stuff has good deals on bulk leather scraps and pieces. I've made countless washers/gaskets.. etc from leather this way.

Soundguy

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #7  
High temp silicone works well as gasket material.

Egon

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #8  
Go to your local auto parts store and get a nylon washer that fits your drain plugs.

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #9  
If you are talking about threaded plugs, plain old plumber's pipe thread compound works great.

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Go to your local auto parts store and get a nylon washer that fits your drain plugs. )</font>

In my opinion, that's the best solution of all.