Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting?

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting? #1  

larso1

Gold Member
Tractor
Iseki TS1610F 4x4
Hi all,
I have had an on-going problem with oil filling the valve cover on the Isuzu diesel motor of my Iseki TS1610F tractor, and then flowing out the breather after about 5 minutes operation. I was advised it was probably blowby from weak rings. So, I did a top end rebuild...new rings, rod bearings, and valve job with new seals. Well, it didn't fix the problem, although it is eaasier to start now. But, in the process I notice that the oil pressure is at a constant 66-psi, the safety relief valve setting at the oil filter casting. The manual states that it should be running closer to ~55-psi.

Well, to make a long story a little shorter, I removed the aluminum filter mount casting and I can see a long crack along the wall of the high pressure side chamber that is supplied by the oil pump. So, I think I've found my problem....some amount of oil bypassing the filter and going directly to the main oil galley, pushing too much oil to the top end and over-pressurizing the system. So my question is: is this aluminum casting salvageable..can a crack like this be reliably sealed with some product. Or, am I looking at trying to find a used unit? Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable replies.

Bill in CO

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting? #2  
There is always liquid aluminum, like liquid steel, an epoxy product.

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting? #3  
You don't want to rig this part, if any chunks of JB Weld or epoxy or whatever you use come loose they will bypass the oil filter and go straight to your bearings. If you can't find a new one find a welding shop that does TIG welding and get it fixed right. Double check your relief valve. The valve might have stuck and caused the crack in the first place.

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting? #4  
Slamfire's right about that aluminum epoxy. Great stuff to use. I wonder what caused the crack? Any chance of a pic of the piece with the crack? You could take it to a shop and have it tig welded for a more permanent repair. Are there any machined surfaces involved?

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting? #5  
I wouldn't use an epoxy type product. But I would try an alloy soldering stick.

Look around at fleamarkets and such.. stuffs called alum-alloy or something like that. It boasts the ability to repair cast metal and aluminum. Works with tyhe heat of a little plumbers propane torch.. like a burnzomatic from kmart.. etc. Wire brush the spot and solder away. If you don't feel good about that.. tig is the only other way I can think ov other then a new/used part from a partshouse or junkyard.

If it were me.. and I had the propane torch.. I'd try the 5$ worth of solder rods and wire brush option first.. even if only to prove that I NEEDED to pay the TIG guy...

Soundguy

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting? #6  
TIG!!!!!...TIG!!!!!!!!!...........TIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........NO ???'S ASKED.......I have personally done alot of work on alum. engine parts and its the only way to go...be sure nothing fall into any part of the engine when tigging....slag ...anything....probably cost u 40-60 if u can bring it to them and all they've got to do is hit it with the tig....
just like welding a cracked weld on steel.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting? #7  
Yep, TIG. I learned a trick from a local welder when welding cast aluminum. Heat it up to a puddle and let the impurities in the casting rise to the surface. Grind it a little, then use the aluminum rod and TIG it again, and you'll get a nice, clean weld. Before I got my own TIG, I used to pay him to weld broken bbq grill lid castings; usually the hinge ear broke off. He never charged me much.

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting?
Thanks for all of the replies and helpful suggestions guys. I think i will have it tig welded, although that alum-alloy Soundguy mentioned does sound interesting. Thanks again!

Bill in CO

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting? #9  
don't go to any schlepp!!! ...goto a guy that has the rep!!!..its the engine 4 yer cut!!!!...if he is worth a part of his salt!!!!
he will lead and tell u straight!!!!cuz he is the guy with the rep!!!...and he'll keep u and yr cut on the straight and narrow!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

u take care my friend and jist git the job done by someone who knows his $$$ff>>>>>>>>>>ifn i was back on the road right now i'd come visit u and do it my self!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif................

fffffffffffffffffffeeeeeevvvvvaaaaa.....yyyyooooouuuuunnnnggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rod stewart...and when u finally fly away .....or i do ...i hope i serve u wwwweeeeeeeellll............so from here on out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i give u permision 2 b /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif4 ever youn /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifg!!!!

/ Can crack be fixed in aluminum casting?
Thanks Polecat. I will have the guy who supervises our machine/weld shop at work do it. He also teaches a welding course so I trust him. Hey, you should've been a rapper!

Bill in CO