Any heating/ac guys out there!!!!

/ Any heating/ac guys out there!!!! #21  
polecat:

sounds to me like the NEW thermocouple may not be getting good enough signal. not uncommon to happe either.

ok anyhow don't mess with the pressure as everything else is working. the YELLOW is not uncommon and usually caused by dirt buildup in and or around the air inlets but that should not effect the pilot only the efficency of the heater. use the compressor to blow out the dirt/dust and take a bit of sandpaper to the thermocouple end and the base where the thermocouple mounts, the biggest mestake is not getting a good ground to the NEW thermocouple! I would be willing to be this is the problem for you. remove the thermocoupls and clean the area with sand paper where it mounts, get rid of any carbon buildup and rust. also make sure the ground wire on the tank is good. (should have a ground wire attached to the tank and gas/water lines someplace, or maybe too old for that?) anyhow make sure there was no anti sieze use under the thremocouple mount threads to valve! 2nd common mistake made by novice installers!!! lol

anyhow try those and I'll post back if it still messes up to provde more indepth possable casuese...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Any heating/ac guys out there!!!!
thanx spikster!!!!!...nope the tank does not have a ground...so what is the grnd for...i thought the thermo couple relied on a basic heat/mercury type sensing theory??????..has no elec...isn't it basically a thermometer???will take back apart and clean everything ...the tcouple was longer by about 10" tanh the one that existed...but is the one that the plumbing heating place gave me to replace it with..i toldem it looked longer but said it was a universal type????
do i add a grnd.???3 4 or 6 copper going to one of the water pipes...i know yer not goin to tell me to grnd the 3/8 inlet for the propane???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif??

/ Any heating/ac guys out there!!!! #23  
Polecat...most 'thermocouples' are actually tiny electrical generator 'fired' by heat. When the end of two dis-similar metals are heated, a minimal ( millivolts ) electrical current is created. This current is fed through a coil type electromagnet to hold the pilot valve open. The purpose for this is so that gas doesn't continue to flow if the flame fails ( safety ).

Since you say the pilot stays on except when the main burner is shutting down, I'm still looking to a pressure problem ( sorry to question Spiker no disrespect intended ) or maybe a vent blockage. Watch the flame shutdown and see if there is a noted 'pop' upon flame out. This may be creating enough of a wavefront to snuff the pilot ???

not really a pop....but when burner flame goes out then pilot slowly dies and then jist withers out... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Any heating/ac guys out there!!!! #25  
<font color="blue"> but when burner flame goes out then pilot slowly dies and then jist withers out... </font> Hmmmmm

That's a weird one.....The main flame shuts down nice ???
How old is the heater ??? When you go the relight the pilot, does it light right up or do you have to try a couple of times ???

Sorry...more questions than answers right now....

The final answer may be a trip to the supply house for a new hot water heater /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh.....
will jist keep litin it every day then!!!!jist a sec..i'll run out and check..i know it's old..12/91....and lookeee ther it stayed lit this morn!!!!!!and pilot is still goin...and the pilot light as easy as any other ..burner went out today jist like its sposed to but pilot stayed lit!!!sometimes does and sometimes doesnt...go figger!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jist like livin witha woman ...but what choice do u hav ...am not goin to git a new at this moment..as uno the new ones r expensive!!!!!!!!! hot water heaters that is !!!!!!
and for that matter so r new women!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Any heating/ac guys out there!!!! #27  
Easy now.....step away from that sharp stick /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only real working part is the valve....go to sears.com

on the upper left part of the screen you'll see a link to Parts

Go there...key in the model and see what a new gas valve is worth. I'd check the gas pressure first.

Hmmmm It's a bit warm ( relatively speaking ) around here today...where you are too ??. Supposed to be real warm tommorow. See what it does tommorow. Ifit still is okay, and you can correlate the outdoor temperature to the problem, then you my friend have a pressure problem /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

nope ...overcast and breezy all day!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifbout 60-65
???? where is the valve???can i take it apart and clean it???i have no clue as to where it is...but have never had a pressure problem and now have a full tank ...so how to adjust the pressure???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifleast i feel like i'm gittin ..SOMEWHERE AND THANK U !!! I OWE U ONE!!!!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Any heating/ac guys out there!!!! #29  
The valve is that gray critter with the big red knob right on the front of the heater...where the gas connects.....its not really a cleanable item. As for the pressure adjustment...get your gas guy to check it.
$ 75 is cheaper than what it costs to pick up the pieces of your house all over the neighborhood !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Any heating/ac guys out there!!!! #30  
For what it's worth, Polecat, I have seen replacement thermocouples that were faulty! Good luck with yours.