Removing grease zerk

/ Removing grease zerk #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
TN 75 and one of the grease zerks broke on the loader. It sits in a recess so I can't really grab what's left of it and it must be hardened steel because I can't drill it. Any ideas

/ Removing grease zerk #2  
I never ran into a zerk fitting that hard. I have removed broken zerk fittings using an "easy out". Most well stocked hardware stores carry them in the drill and tap section of the store. They come in various sizes.

If you try using one, be careful not to snap the "easy out" off in the zerk fitting. That would result in a major problem.

/ Removing grease zerk #3  
TN 75 and one of the grease zerks broke on the loader. It sits in a recess so I can't really grab what's left of it and it must be hardened steel because I can't drill it. Any ideas
Some really good bits should drill it if you can get a small one down through the hole and just keep stepping up in bit size. I've never seen a zerk made from hard metal. I also have gotten them out by putting a screw in the hole. If you can't see the hole in the center of the zerk and a small bit won't touch it the next thing I'd try is a grinding wheel on a dremmel and, see if I could grind off enough to get the hole open. After that the right size ez out should back it right out.

/ Removing grease zerk #4  
You have a old file with a sharp end on it? Normally they are square so you can put a handle on the file. Tap it in and unscrew it.

/ Removing grease zerk #5  

I find EZ-outs to be an oxymoron; I have much better luck with bolt extractors which are the female counterpart of an EZ-out. If there is enough of a stub left on the zerk to fit the extractor it may work. You did not mention the presence of a hex head that a socket might fit; the absence of a means to tighten the zerk may indicate a press fit like the zerks on the spindles of my JD mower. Nothing is ever easy.
An expedient solution to provide lubrication might be to grind a shallow cup into the remains of the zerk with a dremel and use an injector nozzle fitting on your grease gun (see Grainger 52ZV14 for a rubber tipped, conical nozzle). Grinding would probably remove the ball check valve present in zerks. Leaving a blob of grease in the depression and wiping the blob away before re-greasing may prevent contaminants from entering.

/ Removing grease zerk #6  
Any pics of zerk location and accessibility?

/ Removing grease zerk #7  
I just removed one a few days ago that someone had broken, simply put a spiral easy-out in, it backed right out. I also have never seen a hardened zerk.

/ Removing grease zerk #8  
I never liked drilling or grinding a broken grease zerk fitting. There is no way to remove ALL the metal particles, some of which may be forced into the area that will be lubricated when a new zerk fitting is installed. I would only drill or grind as a LAST resort.

EZ-outs have been my weapon of choice for decades. They come in all sizes from the tiniest to those large enough to remove broken off threaded pipe ends.

/ Removing grease zerk
Well I just tried all the suggestion. It was hardened steel for sure. I ended up welding over the hole and filled the recess of the pin with weld then drilled and tapped for a new grease zerk. The new pilot hole was smaller than the hole left by the broken zerk so went in through it and the outer part I filled with weld was far enough away that it drilled and tapped without touching old zerk.

/ Removing grease zerk #10  
Glad you got it fixed. I wonder if maybe the check ball was left in the old one and that was the hardened part you were trying to drill.

Doug in SW IA