New Farmer with MF 6290 fuel issue

/ New Farmer with MF 6290 fuel issue
Well, I owe you guys a coke.

I opened the filler cap, disconnected the fuel line at the separator, and applied some "gentle" air pressure to the line.
I heard bubbles in the tank, then applied it again and definitely heard vigorous bubbling.
I reattached the fuel line, opened the bleeder valve and pumped the lift pump several times, looking under the tractor for fuel dripping on the ground (who designed it to be on the opposite side, anyway?) no fuel dripping! I walked around and realized it wasn't dripping, it was squirting a couple feet out.
There was a little leak at the separator bowl I hadn't noticed before- I loosened it to check the gasket- fuel poured out everywhere! That was new!!!

BOTTOM LINE- That line must have had a ton of crud in it, or on the tip in the tank, because the fuel runs out of it like crazy, and more importantly, the tractor runs great, I ran it for an hour with nary a sputter.

Gratuitous picture of the beast-

IMG_7712.JPG

/ New Farmer with MF 6290 fuel issue #13  
Well, I owe you guys a coke.

I opened the filler cap, disconnected the fuel line at the separator, and applied some "gentle" air pressure to the line.
I heard bubbles in the tank, then applied it again and definitely heard vigorous bubbling.
I reattached the fuel line, opened the bleeder valve and pumped the lift pump several times, looking under the tractor for fuel dripping on the ground (who designed it to be on the opposite side, anyway?) no fuel dripping! I walked around and realized it wasn't dripping, it was squirting a couple feet out.
There was a little leak at the separator bowl I hadn't noticed before- I loosened it to check the gasket- fuel poured out everywhere! That was new!!!

BOTTOM LINE- That line must have had a ton of crud in it, or on the tip in the tank, because the fuel runs out of it like crazy, and more importantly, the tractor runs great, I ran it for an hour with nary a sputter.

Gratuitous picture of the beast-

View attachment 544654

Glad that you got it sorted out! I had similar problems on both a MF1643 and MF1754 tractors. Granted different platforms, but something worth checking out if your problem returns. Check the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filters. On both my tractors the fuel lines were too long and also routed so that once they got hot they would pinch. On the MF1754, tractor shut down about a 1/4 mile from my shop, getting dark, couldn't see anything. Walked back to barn to get a flashlight. When back at tractor, it would start, but not run over 1500 RPMs. Got it back to barn. Next day, I pulled the fuel filters. No fuel coming out at flanges. Installed new filters, cracked bleeders, nothing. Prime filters, just a very small trickle. Climbed under tractor, removed rock shield and started moving the fuel line around. As with your tractor, fuel starting flowing all over and also leaking at the filter flange. Cut the overall length of the line and rerouted it. Knock on wood, no issue since with around 150 hours of run time. I'm not saying this is or was a contributor to your problem and I really hope you have it fixed. However, if problem returns, this is something else to check.

/ New Farmer with MF 6290 fuel issue #14  
Your welcome Schrode.. IF you feel the need to clean out the fuel tank w/o removing it.
Do a search on the "suck bucket".. a very easy & effective way to clean a fuel tank..
Just build one & wait till the fuel in the tank get low & go ta work..
Happy Tractoring.. TPG