Rounded off drain plug

/ Rounded off drain plug #1  

Kando

Silver Member
Tractor
2xFord 5000, Ford 960
Hello TBN,

Trying to change the fluids in my Ford 960 and ended up rounding off the head of the transmission drain plug. Haven't tried channel locks yet but I don't think it'll help. Beyond removing the plug, what could I use to replace it? Would a short bolt work? Looked through messicks and new Holland's parts but the plug itself seems to no longer exist.

/ Rounded off drain plug #2  
Try vise grips Maybe napa auto parts or weld a nut on the end and use a new copper gasket

/ Rounded off drain plug
Vise grips are my next go to once I let myself breathe a bit. I have no welding experience or equipment so that option is out.

/ Rounded off drain plug #4  
if you have enough media you can grind it square and use a crescent wrench from this point forward .

/ Rounded off drain plug
if you have enough media you can grind it square and use a crescent wrench from this point forward .

Rounded it with a crescent wrench. Not sure of the exact size of the plug head, 15mm wrench was the closest fit, but still a tad bit of wiggle room. Used an adjustable crescent for the extra leverage. I have a vise grip with a straight mouth on it, probably need to pick up a pair with a rounded grip.

/ Rounded off drain plug #6  
Rounded it with a crescent wrench. Not sure of the exact size of the plug head, 15mm wrench was the closest fit, but still a tad bit of wiggle room. Used an adjustable crescent for the extra leverage. I have a vise grip with a straight mouth on it, probably need to pick up a pair with a rounded grip.

Buy, or borrow, a small Stilson wrench.
You will do much better with a Stilson than vise grips...more leverage.

/ Rounded off drain plug #7  
And once you get it out Napa should be able to match it up for a new one. If not take some digital calipers and measure the size and thread pitch. You can locate one somewhere. Might even just walk into a new Holland dealer and they might have one.

/ Rounded off drain plug #8  
Buy, or borrow, a small Stilson wrench.
You will do much better with a Stilson than vise grips...more leverage.
Yes, try to get a pipe wrench on it, something with the longest handle that will fit in the work space available and still grip the plug.

/ Rounded off drain plug
Picked up a pipe wrench, and TSC matched the drain plug to a galvanized steel plug in their plumbing aisle. Actually looks almost exactly alike.

/ Rounded off drain plug
No go with a pipe wrench, simply can't get a good grip on it.