Stuck Alternator Bolt

/ Stuck Alternator Bolt #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
I'm trying to remove the alternator from a 1973 GMC pickup with a 350 engine. I've been able to loosen the long bolt that passes thru the alternator body and screws into the cylinder head to the point where the threads are loose in the head. However, the shank of the bolt itself is tightly seized within the aluminum alternator body (never removed in 45 years) so the whole assembly wants to rotate. Any ideas of how I can get this off without damaging/destroying the alternator body?:confused:

/ Stuck Alternator Bolt #2  
I'm trying to remove the alternator from a 1973 GMC pickup with a 350 engine. I've been able to loosen the long bolt that passes thru the alternator body and screws into the cylinder head to the point where the threads are loose in the head. However, the shank of the bolt itself is tightly seized within the aluminum alternator body (never removed in 45 years) so the whole assembly wants to rotate. Any ideas of how I can get this off without damaging/destroying the alternator body?:confused:

Apply a 50/05 mix of ATF/acetone, at least twice daily for at least a week.
Tap the head of the bolt ( a few hits)each time.

/ Stuck Alternator Bolt #3  
You're going to have a battle on your hands. Worst is the aluminum will have swelled around the bolt where it passes thru because of the galvanic corrosion between aluminum and steel. You can try penetrating fluid as fried said (nothing against you fried :) ) but I don't think you're going to have much luck. I've done it before by heating up the aluminum around the bolt and getting enough expansion to allow the bolt to turn by working it back and forth very slightly. You might try heating it and then applying fluid on the off chance the heat will draw it in between the two dissimilar pieces...............Mike

/ Stuck Alternator Bolt #4  
If you don’t care about the core of the old alternator and have enough access. Cut and or break the ears off the alternator then remove the bolt.

/ Stuck Alternator Bolt #5  
If you don’t care about the core of the old alternator and have enough access. Cut and or break the ears off the alternator then remove the bolt.

That would be my choice as any scrap yard can sell you a core for real cheap. (and probably a serviceable one at that)

/ Stuck Alternator Bolt #6  
That would be my choice as any scrap yard can sell you a core for real cheap. (and probably a serviceable one at that)

I had to pay a $60 dollar core on my truck alternator. After changing it I decided the alternator was only half bad so I kept it. ( my family like to keep useless crap and I'm no different) I found another alternator laying around that was completely bad so I tossed it in the box and took it back. They never opened the box to verify it was the right one so I third the junk yard approach. They probably have a not working alternator pile that would be less than $5.

/ Stuck Alternator Bolt #7  
Heat up and blow air in between( where the space must be ) so that the compressed air can displace the powder. Every little powder removed will let air in deeper and deeper .

/ Stuck Alternator Bolt #8  
Not worth saving. Even the core. So many things render the old oness inoperative.

External voltage regulator, diode trio, diode block brushes and slip rings. They were a great invention when we were using generators but that style has been left in the dust.

New alternators with much greater output and smaller size are available.

Clearly we are not talking about a frame off restoration..

Dave M7040