What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools?

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I tried this in the HF tools that don't suck thread but met with objections.
I realize there is a long thread over in unFriendly Politics discussing the proposed tariffs but has anyone tried to compare the list of 1300 proposed items with HF's offerings?

Keep it non-political please, but there are a lot of TBN'ers that never go to FP.

I'm thinking along the lines of what we should buy NOW rather than wait. I'm in for ANOTHER 4 pack of trucker chains.

But there are a lot of smart people here that never go to FP so please keep this thread NON-POLITICAL

I had been lusting for their 44" rolling tool cabinet, hoping to get it for $340, like it was last year

9_ITEM_44___13_DRAWER_INDUSTRIAL_QUALITY_ROLLER_CABINET_1491262706.9983.JPG

I waited too long, they replaced it with a 2" deeper model for $450. I'm trying to stock up my retirement workshops and still need a lot of tools. I'm in a quandary of "plan to buy NOW? or later?"

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #2  
deleted by user for inappropriate response

Last edited:
   / What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools?
You're treading on thin ice here, but we can keep it civil. I hope that it's just posturing, trying to get some leverage for more favorable trade agreements. While I don't like the way we rely on China in particular for our goods- especially since much of it is junk- we've been going down that road too long to try to go back to the way things were. Among other things we don't have enough qualified people who actually want to do that type of work.

I'm NOT trying to discuss trade agreements.

Have you read the list?

About 45 pages of stuff like:
84332000 ........... Mowers nesi, including cutter bars for tractor mounting
84333000 ........... Haymaking machinery other than mowers

I was wanting a sickle bar mower, is that affected?

I didn't see flail mowers listed, but it's 45 PAGES of stuff.

I'm wondering if any of you brainiacs can advise us about equipment which will be most affected, or will just everything go up?

I use a lot of 5/16 x 20' chains for hauling logs, fastening equipment etc. I went and bought an extra 4 at $29@ and might buy more. I probably won't need them for a year but I wish I had bought a couple of dozen a few years ago at $20@.

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #4  
I say if you want the tool box buy it why wait prices always go up, Maybe a estate sale or yard sale , CL you might get a better deal:D

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #5  
I'm wondering if any of you brainiacs can advise us about equipment which will be most affected, or will just everything go up?

Well, it hasn't even become law yet, so where it goes remains to be seen.

Keep in mind that most name-brand tools, etc. are also made in China so even if HF's prices go up, the name brands will too. And who knows how many companies will raise prices on non-affected materials and blame it on the tariffs?

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #6  
And who knows how many companies will raise prices on non-affected materials and blame it on the tariffs?

Atta boy on that one. Just any excuse even if it doesn't exist becomes a reason....fuel?????

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #7  
Yeah, the disposal company has been bending me over for a "fuel surcharge" since 2009 when diesel was almost $4 a gallon in spite of the fact that it's now $2.83. Nearly all Milwaukee power tools are made in China nowdays.

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #8  
The Canadian post office charged a fuel surtax on stamps for letters.
OK, a mere penny or 2 but you sure can haul a lot of letters in a huge van.
Naturally that was rounded off to the closest nickel as we no longer have pennies in Canada.

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #9  
You know they are going to increase our taxes due to the tariffs. Any port is a storm for the gubbamint, no real reason needed. I think we all need a raise due to the tariffs.

/ What do you think the impact of proposed tariffs will be on the price of HF tools? #10  
Atta boy on that one. Just any excuse even if it doesn't exist becomes a reason....fuel?????

EXACTLY correct!
Prices will rise on ALL items with steel and aluminum content (if the tariffs do go into effect).
Prices may soon rise even if the tariffs do NOT go into effect.
Manufacturers may quickly capitalize on consumer fear of rising prices, and just do it.

I ordered a new ETA 6 ft. six way scrape blade last week. ($820 incl. del.)
From the ETA videos, it looks like a really nice offset capable design (better than the competition).
Blade is 325 lbs. of steel.

Think about it. US made steel is about $800 per ton, and is currently in short supply. At $800/ton the 325 lbs. in the blade costs $130, at $1000/ton (25% more) that same steel costs $162.50. Then too there may be a welding materials increase, and there could even be a labor cost increase, as well.
ETA could very likely justify at least a $40 blade price increase, based on the steel & welding material content alone.

Why would I wait?
That 325 lb. steel blade will almost certainly be priced higher within 6 months, to a year, but my retirement income definitely will not be going up.

Last edited: