ford 1900 injection pump help

/ ford 1900 injection pump help #1  

manzie6887

Tractor
1979 ford 1900
I have a 1979 ford 1900 3 cyl diesel. It was running fine then died as if out of fuel. Plenty in the tank. Plenty in the filter. Cleaned the tank and filter and replaced hoses just in case. Dissasembled and cleaned injectors. Bled the system and it started only to die again after a few seconds. Took out the injectors after bleeding again and watched them all spray. It seems that if I bleed the system it will run for 30 seconds or so then die. Could my pump need a rebuild? Tractor has 350 hours on it but sat for a while. can I rebuild the pump myself? Thanks in advance for any help.

/ ford 1900 injection pump help #2  
I have a 1979 ford 1900 3 cyl diesel. It was running fine then died as if out of fuel. Plenty in the tank. Plenty in the filter. Cleaned the tank and filter and replaced hoses just in case. Dissasembled and cleaned injectors. Bled the system and it started only to die again after a few seconds. Took out the injectors after bleeding again and watched them all spray. It seems that if I bleed the system it will run for 30 seconds or so then die. Could my pump need a rebuild? Tractor has 350 hours on it but sat for a while. can I rebuild the pump myself? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sounds like you are still getting air. My trusty standby is pull it around with something till all the air gets out. Maybe you'll get lucky.

/ ford 1900 injection pump help #3  

Likely you have a mechanical lift pump feeding the injection pump.

On many tractors, when the fuel tank is full or in the upper 1/3 to 1/2, gravity will feed fuel from the tank to the injection pump. As the fuel level drops in the tank, now gravity is not able to help and the lift pump must take over. Going up a hill means the fuel level will be tilted in the tank and the lift pump will be needed

Some photos of both side of the engine would help with understanding what you have.

When fuel delivery is suspect for one of many causes, owners have had a lot of success rigging up a temp fuel supply that will feed the injection pump directly by gravity.

Some have used a large squeeze mustard container and connected a rubber hose between the container full of fuel and the injection pump.

When you say pump, which pump are you referring to?

Dave M7040

/ ford 1900 injection pump help
Im in Florida and there are no hills. The tank is full. I will post pics this afternoon. There seems to be great flow to the injector pump. Its a very simple fuel delivery system to the pump and I cant see where it would be pulling air from. Is it possible for an injector pump to work enough to start the engine and rev up but quit after that?

Dave M7040[/QUOTE]

/ ford 1900 injection pump help #5  
The system is gravity fed, Right?? No supply pump.??
The fuel travels from the tank, thru a small filter, then to the injection pump??
You said you CLEANED the filter.. REPLACE IT!!! its only a couple of bucks & seeing its the only defense you have.. GET A NEW ONE.
Is there a screen in the shut-off tap under the tank??
& no you cant rebuild the inj. pump.. you need special tools.
When was the last time you checked or changed the lube oil in the pump??

/ ford 1900 injection pump help #6  
The only other suggestion is to add a length of clear hose between the filter and injection pump on a temporary basis so you can see if fuel delivery stops or air is entering the system as the tractor runs and then stops. If it is gravity fed then I don't see air being sucked in.

In looking at the New Holland on line parts for a 1900 I notice this device called a "Fuel Shut Off," which is more like an air shut off.

These air shut off's are used on diesel engines which could experience a run-a-way condition.

frQpOW8.jpg

Is there such a device on the intake manifold of your tractor?

Could it be vibrating closed when running?

Dave m7040

Ther is no air shut off. The air filter goes directly into the valve cover. I will replace the fuel filter but thats not the issue. IMG_0261.JPGIMG_0262.JPG. Could I buy the tools to rebuild the pump? If its not sucking air and getting fuel what else could it be?

Changed the oil recently. I can remove the side cover and watch the plungers go up and down also.

/ ford 1900 injection pump help #9  
Theres nothing in the pump you can fix.. just make sure the top nuts[delivery valve holders] are torqued to 30-35FTlbs.
Did you bleed the air out AT the injection pump bleed screw??

/ ford 1900 injection pump help #10  
When I rebuilt the engine on my 1700 it was **** getting the pump primed the first time. I had to remove the lines from the injector pump and then remove the nut on top that was under the line, it has a spring and plunger type check valve. I then rotated the engine until fuel flowed from each check valve. Put it all back together and cracked the line at the injector, cranked until fuel sprayed out, tightened the line and it fired right up. If that don't work I would say you are sucking air before the pump.