John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help #1  

speedy223

Tractor
Case DX 45
i have had a hard time finding what part i need and the john deere dealership in town is useless. they only want to sell new tractors they have no use for people that need parts for old ones.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

leaking hydraulic fluid under the gas pedal area where the two hardline hydraulic hoses plug into the block and are held in place by a metal plate with a bolt securing it. lower hose is leaking a bit, i tightened it up a while back, it held pretty good, now it started seeping again especially when tractor is running. i tightened it a bit more but could tell with my seat of pants torque wrench it was as tight as it ought to be. seemed to quit seeping again, i am guessing there is some king of o ring or something in there behind the lines that could stand a refresh?

i dont want to pull the lines out to look because i expect it to waste a lot of fluid, i would like to get the parts needed and next time it starts leaking bite the bullet and change them. i would rather not pull them out to look if someone can point me in the right direction.

i pored over john deere parts diagrams for some time and could not find anything that matched exactly. something that was labeled number 42 "washer" looked right but it doesnt sound like this is a washer unless it is rubber? and then the other side didnt seem to match.

again two hard line hydraulic lines under driver right foot, plug into the tractor block, one smaller and one larger metal plug, both held in place by the same metal plate and a bolt. i would like to get the seals for both even though only the smaller one is leaking.

any help to get the parts ahead of time would be really great. i am sorry for the poor description. I know very little about tractors but work on most of my own stuff when able. this is a back up tractor we have that is a 1979 model John Deere 2040 with loader. really nice tractor considering its age, much more solidly built than our Case D45 was may it rest in peace in the auction lot it now resides in... we now have a Mahindra newly arrived to the place....Case did its time over the last 14 years got traded in on a mahindra, we decided to keep the Deere instead of the case as our backup.

i can take photos of the location i am talking about if needed. thanks in advance for any help finding these o rings or whatever seals these two lines .

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help #2  
i have had a hard time finding what part i need and the john deere dealership in town is useless. they only want to sell new tractors they have no use for people that need parts for old ones.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

leaking hydraulic fluid under the gas pedal area where the two hardline hydraulic hoses plug into the block and are held in place by a metal plate with a bolt securing it. lower hose is leaking a bit, i tightened it up a while back, it held pretty good, now it started seeping again especially when tractor is running. i tightened it a bit more but could tell with my seat of pants torque wrench it was as tight as it ought to be. seemed to quit seeping again, i am guessing there is some king of o ring or something in there behind the lines that could stand a refresh?

i dont want to pull the lines out to look because i expect it to waste a lot of fluid, i would like to get the parts needed and next time it starts leaking bite the bullet and change them. i would rather not pull them out to look if someone can point me in the right direction.

i pored over john deere parts diagrams for some time and could not find anything that matched exactly. something that was labeled number 42 "washer" looked right but it doesnt sound like this is a washer unless it is rubber? and then the other side didnt seem to match.

again two hard line hydraulic lines under driver right foot, plug into the tractor block, one smaller and one larger metal plug, both held in place by the same metal plate and a bolt. i would like to get the seals for both even though only the smaller one is leaking.

any help to get the parts ahead of time would be really great. i am sorry for the poor description. I know very little about tractors but work on most of my own stuff when able. this is a back up tractor we have that is a 1979 model John Deere 2040 with loader. really nice tractor considering its age, much more solidly built than our Case D45 was may it rest in peace in the auction lot it now resides in... we now have a Mahindra newly arrived to the place....Case did its time over the last 14 years got traded in on a mahindra, we decided to keep the Deere instead of the case as our backup.

i can take photos of the location i am talking about if needed. thanks in advance for any help finding these o rings or whatever seals these two lines .
Photo will tel what seal you need !

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help #3  
From viewing 2040 parts catalog one will need to know tractor serial number to accurately find part numbers needed. If your tractor is truly a 1979 model then the part # is R1662R. Spec's for this part are shown below. Sometimes the names JD parts catalog authors give to part items makes one scratch one's head in wonder!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    67.5 KB · Views: 169
   / John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help #4  
:welcome:
To TBN Soeedy. We are glad that you joined.

I was wondering if you are in TN or CA?

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help
Attach14642_20180514_095047.jpg
upper left one was leaking but want seals for both
Tractor may be slightly newer than I thought
Attach14643_20180514_095051.jpgAttach14644_20180514_095107.jpg

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help
i posted the serial number plate, I think it may be a bit newer than I thought, for some reason I was stuck on 1979, I know it is not much newer. pictured are the two lines the top one is the one that was seeping but I would like the seals for both so I can change them together. I don't think I can tighten that bolt holding the plate any more.

went by John Deere Dealer again today and showed him the pictures posted above and it was again a bust. the guy was nice but said he could not tell which lines those where even though I explained where it was (under the drivers foot right by where brake pedal lever is) still no good. he told me to find out what the lines do and then maybe he could help. I actually don't know, I need to trace them back, I thought they were the lines to and from the pump on the front but I might be wrong. couldn't say for sure and he couldn't find anything.

serial number is above in the picture. 405099 is what I am seeing. the lines pictured are the ones I need seals for.

any help anyone familiar with this tractor can give would be greatly appreciated, I failed miserably poring over parts diagrams for it.

I live near Crockett Texas by the way. thanks for the welcome I have used your site many times for info but this is one of the first times I post. really great site.

thanks in advance for any help...

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help #7  
I live near Crockett Texas by the way. thanks for the welcome I have used your site many times for info but this is one of the first times I post. really great site.

thanks in advance for any help...
I didn't even think of Texas. I was mainly asking because I am from TN.

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help #8  
Whenever I needed JD parts for my 2240, or even my old B, I never had a problem. You have to go to a real farm tractor dealer. They sell new and good used parts for just about all JD's. There are places all over the US that scrap old tractors and save the parts for reselling at a later date. If you can find the part number you need, I think you will have no problem finding what you need somewhere. I sold my 2240 and gave them all my parts/repair manuals... but a farm dealer should be able to look the part number up for you. Or you can go to JDParts.com if you have your tractor serial and model number....

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help #9  
Part 49-o-ring
Part # L34995

/ John Deere 2040 about 1979 hydraulic line help #10  
Part 49-o-ring
Part # L34995
I found that in the JD parts catalog. 2240(350000-). 70 hydraulics section.
What a crappy dealer that wouldn't even bother to look it up for you.