NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!!

/ NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!! #1  

cavaselis

Just got this thing its in great condition but it appers to not be sparking,I changed the plug and still no spark it turns over the lights work I found 2 fuses and there both good.Also the battery reads 12 volts.What can I try next??

Im checking spark my putting plug to metal I have tried the frame,engine,ground nothing.Driving me crazy.

/ NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!! #2  
What type of engine and what type of ignition system?

Egon

/ NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!!
Kawasaki motor, dont know the ing type, how do i tell?

Ok from the owners maunel.
Kawasaki Model FC420V
Hp 14
Cylinders 1
full throttle 3350 rpm
slow idle no load 1400 rpm

Nothing on Electrical system that I see.

/ NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!! #5  
I am not familiar with the JD 175 but knowing that JD has lots of safety devices on their equipment, I would check them. Did you just get it and was it running when you got it. Did you get it from a dealer? If so I would be on the phone as soon as possible with him. Sorry ... I realize this was not much help but I like to look for the simple stuff first on a machine that's new to me.
Leo

/ NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!! #6  
Might6 have to be sitting on the seat to start it. Some have pressure cut out switches that if you aren't sitting no ignition....

/ NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!! #7  
If the starter motor runs it probably is not a safety switch problem.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!! #8  
Some machines use independent safety switches that operate independently of the starter circuit and just kill the magneto/coil, but will allow cranking. This is done to make trouble shooting for a dead engine simplified. If it cranks and won't start, start looking for a switch that is grounding out the ignition.

Ok took the engine cover off so I could look at the coil and heres what I found.

I have contiunity from the ground wire of the coil to a ground.

The coil ohms out at ~18K ohms from the ground to the sparkplug wire. Is this right or wrong?

I do NOT get contiunity threw the coil.Right or wrong?

And 100 percent sure there is no spark.

Bad coil or no?has to be right?Im confused
Thanks
Mike C

/ NEED HELP guys.JD 175 Will not spark!!!!!!!!! #10  
I don't know a thing about you particular rider. I do know I had a Murray that had a safety switch under the seat. It wouldn't crank unless you were sitting in the seat.

I had the bright idea of cutting the wires to the safety switch and wiring them together. It would crank then but had no fire to the plug, thus wouldn't start. I rewired the safety switch and used it until I got my tractor.