JD 347 baler

/ JD 347 baler #1  

arl242

Tractor
NH TD 5050
My 347 baler quit tieing knots. Had the dealership come out twice and each time it will tie for them when they feed it in a stationary position. As soon as i take it to the field it will not tie both ends together, only a small knot on one end. Any suggestions?

/ JD 347 baler #2  
Knotters can give you a headache. Is both sides acting up or just one side? Twine? I have a 268 new Holland and it flat would not tie plastic twine. JD is usually more forgiving. How about you duckbill? If they got a lot of wear or burs, they could be the culprit. There are some various adjustments. They can be real sensitive. Just turn about 1/4 or 1/2 turn. Then see how it does. Always keep track so if it does not work, you can get back to where you are. Hope some of this helps.

/ JD 347 baler #3  
Clarification needed:

One knot is good, One is bad ?
or
Both knots are bad ?

Empty the bale chamber and unload the twine. Roll it over by hand VERY slowly. First step is to watch the tucker fingers move very close to the rising needles. Pay attention to the tucker finger clearance (!/8" or so), especially on the 'bad' side. If the tucker fingers don't run in parallel and run by the needles as a pair, then the shaft is bent or the hinge pin is loose. Straighten and retime the tucker finger advance.

The other most likely of the cause of knot failure is twine tension coming out of the twine box: should be about 10 lbs. If too light, the resulting slop in the twine section will mess up placement into the twine disk.

also ,watch the billhook action and the wiper arm movement. If the wiper arm doesn't make positive contact with the billhook foot, bend the wiper arm until it does.

Because it ties stationary, my bet would be on the tucker finger not pulling the twine into position on the twine diskslot. Out in the field, a bumpy ride can cause the fingers to misplace the twine into the disk and you get a knot but no tie.

Having one good knot makes diagnosis easy. Make the bad side run just like the good one for twine box tension, tucker finger rotation, twine disk placement, billhook opening and closing, wiper arm movement and needle brake stop at home position.

/ JD 347 baler #4  
Do all 6 hay dogs have good springs & operate as designed? Has plunger head to needle timing been checked lately?

Last edited:
   / JD 347 baler #5  
Clarification needed:

One knot is good, One is bad ?
or
Both knots are bad ?

Empty the bale chamber and unload the twine. Roll it over by hand VERY slowly. First step is to watch the tucker fingers move very close to the rising needles. Pay attention to the tucker finger clearance (!/8" or so), especially on the 'bad' side. If the tucker fingers don't run in parallel and run by the needles as a pair, then the shaft is bent or the hinge pin is loose. Straighten and retime the tucker finger advance.

The other most likely of the cause of knot failure is twine tension coming out of the twine box: should be about 10 lbs. If too light, the resulting slop in the twine section will mess up placement into the twine disk.

also ,watch the billhook action and the wiper arm movement. If the wiper arm doesn't make positive contact with the billhook foot, bend the wiper arm until it does.

Because it ties stationary, my bet would be on the tucker finger not pulling the twine into position on the twine diskslot. Out in the field, a bumpy ride can cause the fingers to misplace the twine into the disk and you get a knot but no tie.

Having one good knot makes diagnosis easy. Make the bad side run just like the good one for twine box tension, tucker finger rotation, twine disk placement, billhook opening and closing, wiper arm movement and needle brake stop at home position.
Well said and definitely on the right track. Only thing I might add is becareful and gentle when bending the wiper arm. They will break.

/ JD 347 baler
Thank you all for the help. I made some adjustments to the tucker fingers and it is working great now!