Bar tires on the Sub CUTs

/ Bar tires on the Sub CUTs #1  

bandit67

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 B3000 HSDCC 2020 Z251 Zero Turn
I can't get the bar tires on my new DX24E, as it's a new model and the first 3 the dealer is getting are coming in with turfs. Apparently, it'll be a while before I can get a 2nd set of rims with the bar tires. I'd like to see if a local tire shop can get the tires in for me and then swap out the bars for the turfs on the factory rims.

So for all you Kubota, MF, NH sub cut owners out there with the little bar tires that are great in the dirt and acceptable on the lawn, what brand, model, etc. are they? I need 18x8.50x8 and 26x12.00x12.

Thanks.

/ Bar tires on the Sub CUTs #2  
Not sure if you have 4 wheel drive or not, but you have to maintain the ration of tire front to rear if you do have 4 wheel drive.

just a hint.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Bar tires on the Sub CUTs
Yes it is 4wd, and I am aware of the rule that I must keep the same size ratio. And I've found some Carlisle tires that may fit the bill - they're called Big Biters Super Lug.

It appears that they have the rear size, but the front will need to be 1" wider (18x9.50x8). Is this ok?

/ Bar tires on the Sub CUTs #4  
I believe that all the rims use the same bolt pattern. Why not stop by a Kubota dealer and purchase a set of front & rear bar tires from them. All you will have to do is put them on and the orange color will be a fond remembrance from where they came from. Cost about $300 for the set of four if ordered as "whole goods"......
If you know the bolt circle diameter and number of lugs, I can check if for you against my BX22. Most of the rim manufacturers have standardized the pattern and the tractor manufacturers have adjusted to that standard....

I don't want orange wheels on my nice new Red machine! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've found tires for $172 at Discount Tire, and I need to get the bolt pattern and then they can quote me on a set of white rims. The white would look ok. Maybe I'll paint them to match the factory rims, and use them with the turfs. The wheels and tires for mine, available sometime in the future, would run about $550 from the dealer. And he's also a Kubota dealer, and his prices are the best in my area.

/ Bar tires on the Sub CUTs #6  
You're in the tire size range used by bigger garden tractors. In the GT forums I've heard very good things about the Titan Tru-Power design - but I don't know if you will be able to match up the effective rolling radii between front and rear tires in that design to keep your MFWD happy. Titan is now owned by Carlisle - but the TruPower is still a different design than the Carlisle SuperLugs.

In this size tire, watch your # plies choice (there are usually several choices of 2-6 plies available) and the consequent load rating, especially if you have an FEL or even heavier rear implements.

You also see these on eBay occasionally.

Tim

The Carlisle Superlugs only come in a 2 ply front with just under 1100# load rating per tire. The rear is a 4 ply with something like 2000# per tire. So I think it should be ok with 2 ply on the fronts. I will wait to get the bars until after I look at the tires that are on it and check out the ratings, etc. I certainly don't want to screw anything up.

/ Bar tires on the Sub CUTs #8  
I was just recently looking into tires as I was curious as to what to put on my Kubota BX23 when I ordered it ( which I just did this morning). I noticed that front tires on the BX23 were slightly different than the Massey GC2310 that I was comparing it to. The BX23 has an 8" diameter rim and the GC2310 has a 10" diameter rim. Other than that that tires are the same diameter which gives the tires on the GC a lower sidewall. On one of my posts to a Kubota newsgroup one BX23 user said his front tires pancaked pretty good when he really loaded up the FEL. This got me thinking about heavier duty tires and I noticed that the BX23 has 4ply bar tires front and rear. I could not find a GC2310 with bars but the turf tires are 4 ply. The Titan site referred to earlier in this thread lists multiple ply ratings available for the rear tire size
(26x12.00x12) but only lists a 4 ply available in a 10" rim diameter that would fit your fronts (18x8.5x10) . I was thinking of upgrading the tires on my BX when I get it as I will be using it for a lot of excavating. I did find one source of 8 ply tires in the 18x8.5x10 size but nothing in the 18x8.5x8 size. Going to an 18x8.5x10 on the front would still keep the proper front/rear ratio as the outside diameter stays the same , the tire sidwall gets smaller because the rim gets larger in diameter.

/ Bar tires on the Sub CUTs #9  
FYI - One thing you want to watch for - all 'nominal' tire diameters are not created equal. If you want/need to be that careful regarding your MFWD ratios, find the true 'rolling radius' or 'rolling circumferance' spec from the respective tire mfg., don't go by just the nominal sidewall labeling.

I've seen some fairly big differences listed between different tire types or brands for the same 'size' tires.

Tim