Ford 601 Front Axle -- How do I know when to repace it?

/ Ford 601 Front Axle -- How do I know when to repace it? #1  

601Ford

Tractor
Ford 601
Hello fellow antique tractor fanatics!! I want to repair my Ford 601 front axle. I have removed the radius rods from the axle to check the bolt hole oversize, but I can't find any numbers for tolerances. I have replaced the support tray axle pin and plates, and also the bushing. The axle to radius rod bolt holes have some wear on the axle part, and I'm planning to replace the bolts. Does anybody have any words of wisdom? How can I know when there is too much wear to continue using the axle? The tractor manual doesn't show tolerances. Thanks for your help!

/ Ford 601 Front Axle -- How do I know when to repace it? #2  
This is made before they did minimum design, how bad is? Picture?

/ Ford 601 Front Axle -- How do I know when to repace it?
Hello Agvg. Thanks for your reply. The bolts are worn where they pass through the axle, and I know they need replacement. However, the bolt holes are visably worn to an egg-shape. The bolts are 5/8-inch nominal size, but the worst hole is worn to just over 3/4-inch along one axis. I'm thinking that is too much wear and I either need to replace the axle or have a machine shop mill the holes to accept 3/4-inch bolts. I gasp at shelling out $200 to $300 for a new axle. But, a machine shop might not be much more economical. I will try to post pictures of the worn bolts and bolt holes.

/ Ford 601 Front Axle -- How do I know when to repace it? #4  
Familiar with Ford 601, wife's Granddaddy bought one new. Still in the family but not where I can see it. I assume you mean the bracing the runs from the tractor out to the end of the axle to support it. If I am right the bolt comes in from the front of the axle and that is the part where the hole is worn, is that correct? If so the lowest price way I can think of to take out that slack will take a good bit of slow work on your part. Buy bolts with long none threaded area than your current bolts. Cut the head off leaving the bolt long, then grind it to fit the hole leaving the threads in tack. When you get it to fit then you can either thread the bolt and put nut on it but if not sufficient metal for threads on it then have a over size nut welded to it. Hope this makes sense. You also may be able to just drill it moving drill size in 1/32 increments. Then you can use bushings to slip over the bolt and fill the gap. If I have misunderstood sorry.

/ Ford 601 Front Axle -- How do I know when to repace it? #5  
5/8" is also the inside diameter of 1/2" black pipe, you just might have to run a drill through to remove the seam. Be a pretty easy way to make bushings...

/ Ford 601 Front Axle -- How do I know when to repace it? #6  
Tractor supply sells dimensional tubing that you could make a bushing from and drill it out.
I'm pretty sure they sell 5/8 ID X 3/4 OD. I have bought it in the past.