Leaking core

/ Leaking core #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Whoo hooooooooo

I was moving several large boulders for my neighbor. I had a very large one in my front bucket, such that the front right tire (which was a bit low on air for a rock THAT big) was sort of pancaked… no biggie, until I turned wheel against a fallen tree and it simply pushed the tire off the bead /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

For those who don’t want to wear hearing protection so you can hear the noises of your machine…I DID hear a faint, yet distinct “ssssssssss”, such that it made me stop & listen. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif When I stopped, I didn’t hear it, so continued… “ssssssssssssssssssss” /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I stopped…it stopped. Baffled, I continued “sssssssssssssss”. Ok… too much coincidence /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Looked around as I was backing out and noticed my pancake and saw my naked rim. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Called my neighbor, got uncles truck, loaded up 2 air compressors in it (no electricity so I wanted backup volume) got the ratcheting strap (thank you very much TBN /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) and wala… fixed my first unbeaded tire myself in about 30 minutes after wrestling the tire off the machine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brand new tire yet I’ve had issues of it losing some air over time. NOW I know why. Not sure if I can explain this, but the stem that goes into the rim has a removable core. And by removable core, I do NOT mean the “core” like you are thinking of. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The core you are thinking of is inside the core I am speaking of. The entire top half of the stem simply unscrews so the core that YOU are thinking of and which is contained in the core I am speaking of, is easily removed, along with the core I am speaking of.

Well, the core you are thinking of is leaking inside the core I am speaking of. So I’m going to remove the core I am speaking of, containing the core you are thinking of to the store and see if they have a replacement for the core you are thinking of, which of course, goes inside the core I am speaking of. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif (dizzy) /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif (dizzy) /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Without having measured, the core you are thinking of is like 1/16” wide, whereas the core I am speaking of is like 1/4" or perhaps 3/8” wide.

If I’m able to replace the core you are thinking of inside the core I am speaking of, I think I will take the wife out to dinner and treat her. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

There will be a test later on which core was which.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Leaking core #2  
I think I know exactly what you're talking about. If so, you won't find them at an auto parts store but a tractor dealer should be able to help. Here's a recent thread about looking for the same core. It turned out that was all I needed to get the tire on my Ford to hold air.

link

/ Leaking core #3  
So you're not talking the core's core, you're talking about the outer core which has another core inside that core and this outer core is not the core that usually has a problem and needs to be replaced, but rather the other core?
Cliff

/ Leaking core
precisely

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I went to the auto place, (with mine in hand) and the one they had seemed to fit just fine, so I took the net $4.00 bet and bought the tool and bag of 4.

I've replaced both front tires and fingers are currently crossed. If it works, I'm done, if I lose some pressure, I'll try again (even to extent of replacing the cores core AND the core)

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Leaking core
Water valve as (somewhat) defined as a larger hole to insert/deplete liquid weight from the tire MUCH easier than simply taking the small stem out?

If so, I can see how it would REALLY work much better since the hole is so much larger than the stem.

/ Leaking core #7  
I would re core the core with a new core and that should fix the defective core, provided that a new core can be found at a replacement core store....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Leaking core
Took me a while to remove the core's core... seems my core remover still had some apple in it and wasn't quite the nice fit it should have been. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Leaking core #9  
Tractor and trucks use those larger valve stem and cores.

Might try sealing the threads with some ptfe compound if you think that is it. I also use metal caps with orings in mine to keep them cleaner..

Soundguy

/ Leaking core #10  
Man, You guys are getting CORENY /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif