What tires would work?

/ What tires would work?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( is it belt driven or shaft? )</font>

There are no belts, so it has to have a shaft. I'm not sure where the chains go, but it looks like one is wrapped around a shaft like thing just behind the engine. The transmission also has a large chain. I'm not sure what kind of tranny uses that but it has to be old.

/ What tires would work? #22  
JayC,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well, the tire size for the front is 4.80/4.00-8. What does the 8 mean? The $50 ones were the only ones that had the 8 in the size. Will the other ones work? That would be great if they would. )</font>

I suspect that the technical writer who writes up the item descriptions doesn't understand tire nomenclature. They are listing a diameter of 16" which I assume to be the outside diameter of the tire. That can vary depending on load conditions, inflation, gravitational pull of the moon, ...

The 8 is the diameter of the rim in inches. Being steel and relatively inflexible, the diameter of the rim is a much more accurate way to describe a tire size than is the diameter of the outside of the tire. In addition to that, most manufacturers mold the size right into the sidewall. Makes it pretty easy to identify what tire you have.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only a couple sizes of rims that are used on wheelbarrows, 8" and 6". The 6" tires are described as 13" diameter on their web site.

If you are fairly close to a TSC store, it might be worth your while to stop in with one of the old tires and ask them to match them up or match them yourself. You should find the size molded into the sidewall of the tire.

/ What tires would work?
Thanks. Actually, a TSC store is only about 15-20 minutes away. When I get the wheel off I will have to see what they have. I'm not quite at the point yet to where I have to remove the wheels. Actually, me and my brother are working on this thing. I have another question. If I were to get the Firestone G1's (or the Goodyear version - I checked their site last night) would it make the rear set lower than the front? I sure don't want a tractor that looks lop-sided. :crazy

How much would a pair of Firestone G1s or the Goodyear versions run about?

Here is the Goodyear version.

/ What tires would work? #24  
I've actually put a ribbed tire on my wheelbarrow (8"), so I know they are available. Something like $15CDN. Just for fun, if there is an ATV dealer near you, get them to check in their tire books. I bet they may handle tires they didn't even know about.

PS - Even though the ribbed tire is tube-type, I've been running it without a tube for 4 years now, and it doesn't leak.

/ What tires would work?
Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is nice to know that they make them that small. What make was your 8" rib tire?

/ What tires would work? #26  
The last Firestone G-1's 7-16, that I bought was $110 each. That has been a couple of years.

/ What tires would work?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The last Firestone G-1's 7-16, that I bought was $110 each. )</font>

Oh my. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That's a bit more than I expected.