What tires would work?

/ What tires would work? #1  

JayC

Veteran Member
I am thinking of replacing the tired old tires on the tractor my grandfather built so long ago. I'm not sure where he got them, but the rears are Goodyears and say "Military" on them. I'm guessing from some old jeep. I have no idea what the fronts are or what the make is. It was hard to even make out a size.

Here are the sizes for the tires:

Rear: 7.00-16

Front: 179N-39

Well, those were what we could decipher off the old things. I hope they are right. For the rears I would probably want R1's (but might consider R4's) beeing it is only 2WD. What is on there now is some bald tires with chains. Those have been on there for as long as I can remember.

For the fronts I would want something that "matches" the rears (i.e. how the front wheels normally look on 2WD tractors). Hope that made some sense. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any help is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What tires would work?
Thanks for the link. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I briefly checked it out and found the right size rear tires under the truck category. I was hoping for R1s, though.

I haven't been able to find anything for the fronts yet. Does the tire size for the front in my post above sound right?

/ What tires would work? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am thinking of replacing the tired old tires on the tractor my grandfather built so long ago. )</font>

I don't supose we could see a picture of this home made tractor, could we? I always find these homemade machines factinating.

Cliff

/ What tires would work?
35-191255-trac4.jpg

No problem. Sorry about the bad quality of the pic. The only "digital camera" I have is a real junker. It is kinda hard to make out, but there are also middle and rear mounted harrows. I want to put some brakes on. When he built it he never put brakes on. For his applications I guess he never needed them. I have no idea how to go about adding brakes. I guess that's a topic for another thread. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ What tires would work? #6  
Thanks for posting the picture. It looks homemade, but practical and capable. The lack of brakes is probably not up to OSHA specs, but if you always work going uphill, it's not a problem. Just be sure to have thick soled shoes and you can brake like Fred Flintstone.

Cliff

/ What tires would work? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does the tire size for the front in my post above sound right? )</font>

I haven't heard of that size. Looking at the picture (through glasses with 53 year old eyes) the fronts resemble wheelbarrow tires. Readily available at tractor supply.

For R1's for the rear - check implement tires. Might be a ground drive manure spreader or something that uses that size.

/ What tires would work? #8  
Here are the 7-16 size in a Firestone. They have R-1 tread but are actually called G-1 by Firestone. Firestone

/ What tires would work?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just be sure to have thick soled shoes and you can brake like Fred Flintstone. )</font>

Maybe I could put some metal underneath my shoes so I could create all sorts of nice visual effects. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif lol

Thanks, Jerry. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Those tires would sure be a step up from what's on there, now!

/ What tires would work?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looking at the picture (through glasses with 53 year old eyes) the fronts resemble wheelbarrow tires. )</font>

The fronts did remind me of wheelbarrow or old trailer tires. Maybe I should take one off and see what TSC has. When my grandfather was alive he always kept it parked away somewhere. I never really thought about asking about the tires. Then again, I never thought I'd end up with it, either. I really hope to improve/restore some things on it then take it to the annual tractor show next year.