oil pressure problem?

/ oil pressure problem? #1  

brianMO

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T330 w/ lt300 loader
Purchased a Ford 1100 a month ago. Was looking it over this weekend and noticed a wire had come off the pressure switch. I hooked it back up and it lit my indicator. I have put on about 10 hours on this tractor since I have had it. Runs good and no problems. Is it my pressure switch? It probably would have seize it up by now if I truly had low oil pressure. The indicator remains lit as long as it is running. I believe somebody removed the wire as it was a firm crimp when I put it back on there. Is there some way I can hook up a pressure gauge?

Brian
Missouri

/ oil pressure problem? #2  
An oil pressure gauge should be a cinch to hook up to that unit. You may need a metric adapter, but you could get them at any auto parts or even Wal-Mart. Or here Sunpro

/ oil pressure problem? #3  
not familiar with the engine, but oil pressure switches go bad regularly. Usually they just start to leak oil, but sometimes the contacts do go bad and they just ground out. I would remove the old one and take it to a auto parts store and look for a replacement. Chances are that they won't have the correct one for your application, but any working one is better than none at all. Then you will have time to purchase the correct one from a Ford dealer, unless the Ford dealer is local to you and you can purchase one immediately. Screw the new one in hand tight and use Permatex on the threads. DON'T use Teflon tape!!!! After it is hand tight, give it another 1/2 to 1 full turn till tight. Start and look for leaks. If none, fine. If it leaks, give it another 1/8 - 1/4 turn. The threads are most likely 1/4" NPT (National Pipe Thread) unless it is a European or Asian block. Then, I don't know what the thread is. A new switch can be as inexpensive as $3.00 and no more than $10. The $10 one is usually gold plated and comes with installation.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif There is a special socket for these switches, but you can usually remove them with a large slip joint plier. Just don't squeeze so hard that you damage it...

/ oil pressure problem?
Well I went ahead and order a new pressure switch. Came up to $13 and some cents. Thanks for the advice.

Brian
Missouri

/ oil pressure problem? #5  
For the tractors that only have idiot lights.. what I have done is to get a 'T' fitting that screws in.. add both the sender and a manual gauge to it. Sometimes I run the gauge up to the dash.. but on other tractors.. i have left the gauge right there on the side of the block... reminds me of the old IH setups.. with the gauge right on the side of the oil canister.

Soundguy

/ oil pressure problem?
Well the pressure switch came in and I replaced. Works great! Another problem solved! Thanks for the help.

I also replace the tach cable. I took my tach/hour meter apart and did some micro surgery. Neither would work. Manage to salvage the hour meter. The tach is gone. Anyway... I am happy I got one of them working as a new one is $267.00. It is a better way to gauge maintainance schedules.