Is it the clutch?

/ Is it the clutch? #1  

Skitch

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054XS, Kubota B4200, MF 255, MF 50E
Ok, you can laugh all you want, but my little Kubota will only make right turns. Seriously. Here's my problem: when operating the tractor, any turn to the left will apparently disengage the clutch, thereby terminating any forward motion until the front wheels are brought back towards a straight position. It was a problem that was sporadic at best there for a while, but has gradually gotten worse over the past 3 months or so. I have checked visually under the tractor to see if the steering mechanism is in someway pushing on the clutch assembly, but cannot see anything obvious.

The tractor is about 15 years old and has never had a clutch replacement. It is stored under cover except when in use, which is about 4-6 hours each week. It is 4wd in case you were wondering. My thought is that the clutch is about worn out, but I am stumped as to why turning left would disengage the clutch like this. Or maybe it's not the clutch at all?

Oh, and one final tidbit, if I wedge my foot under the clutch pedal and pull up, I can make a deeper turn. Am I looking at a clutch replacement here for certain?

/ Is it the clutch? #2  
I guess you can't run your tractor in NASCAR, they specialize in left turns. Seriously though I would look for a loose engine to clutch housing mounting bolt or cracked clutch housing or like you have done, something binding with the clutch linkage.
How about a rear end differential problem ?, just guessing there though.

/ Is it the clutch? #3  
I hope you tell us what you find out, because I haven't been able to visualize how a bad clutch would affect the steering.

/ Is it the clutch?
Bird, I can't visualize it either, and I have the option of looking directly at it!

/ Is it the clutch? #5  
Can you turn left with the brake? Maybe you have a problem with the spider gears in the rear end. Drive it in some loose dirt and step on the differential lock and then try to turn.

/ Is it the clutch? #6  
As Slow-rev said, I would look for a loose engine to clutch housing mounting bolt or cracked clutch housing. Be certain that all of these bolts holding the tractor together are TIGHT. Even though you have a pretty good stroke on the clutch pedal there is very little actual movement by the throwout bearing against the pressure plate, and if there are loose bolts it might allow enough movement to cause the clutch to slip. You might also check your clutch adjustment, as the clutch disk may be worn somewhat adding to the problem.

/ Is it the clutch? #7  
I have no idea what the problem but the first place I would look is at the bellhousing for a crack or loose bolts.

But when I read your post I thought of the Doc on the old Hee Haw series.

(Patient) Doc Doc.....when I do this it hurts.

(Doc hitting patient with rubber chicken) Well don't do that.

So just don't do anything that makes you turn left. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Is it the clutch?
<font color="blue">"But when I read your post I thought of the Doc on the old Hee Haw series." </font>

ROTF - yeah, I've gotten quite adept at turning a right hand turn into a left. The worst is when I am mowing and have to make a left. The tractor has a live PTO, and the mower kicks off as well. And that's just plain annoying. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

It has been raining here since I got home tonight, and I really didn't feel much like walking to the barn in the rain. I appreciate all the thoughts and input on this. There are a few things here that I hadn't considered or tried. I'll give it a go either tomorrow night or this weekend and update when I know more.

/ Is it the clutch? #9  
Did you figure out your turning problem yet Skitch?

/ Is it the clutch?
Well, I found the problem. It is so obvious, I feel somewhat embarassed that I missed it the first time I was checking.

I don't know rightly how best to describe it, but I will give it a shot and try to get some pictures of it tomorrow. When the steering wheel is turned to the left, the steering rod that goes toward the front left tire moves back under the tractor. When it gets to a certain point, it goes under the clutch mechanism and is riding under it. When it does, the clutch linkage moves up and over it about 1/4 of an inch, which disengages the clutch.

I can see where the steering rod has some wear to it where it rides under the clutch linkage, so it has been doing it for quite sometime. Should such a small movement in the linkage cause the clutch to disengage? Am I correct in my assumtion that a new clutch is in my future?

There are a few adjustment screws on the linkage, but making adjustments to them didn't solve the problem at all. Like I said, I'll try to take some pictures and post them tomorrow sometime for better clarification.