Removing blades on a finishing mower

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #1  

siebo

Is there a trick or technique in removing the blades on a finishing mower? I have a 84" rear finishing mower and I want to take the blades off to sharpen. They have not been off since I brought the mower. I can raise the mower high enough to get underneath so getting at them is no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #2  
I use my impact wrench set at the lowest setting. They come off fast and go on fast. It is the best and fastest solution that I have found.

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #3  
Ditto. I was absolutely unable to remove them without my impact wrench!

Pete

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #4  
Impact Wrench

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #5  
siebo

I use my Craftsman electric impact wrench to remove finish mower blades. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On my rotary mower I needed a 4' extension bar on a 3/4" ratchet. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #6  
If you decide to use an impact wrench as we have suggested above, just take care not to try to simulate a NASCAR pit stop. Start all of the bolts by hand and snug them up tight. Then use the impact wrench to finish the job. I also use anti-seize compound on my threads and between the blade and the spindle to keep them from freezing together with rust.

Good Luck

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #7  
This subject is very timely as Im going to replace the blades on my finish mower shortly. First, I assume that the bolts holding the blade on are RH threaded. Correct? Secondly, how many of you keep a spare set of blades? I was thinking a spare set might be handy.

BTW I like the idea of putting no-sieze on the threads! I ran into a similar problem w/ the bolts that hold the belt gaurds on. One had rusted so badly over the winter that it had to be destroyed to get it off.

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #8  
All the blades I've encountered were right handed threads, and yes, I used to keep a spare set of blades, so I could sharpen them at my convenience and always had a sharp set to put on whenever I wanted to.

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #9  
Before my impact wrench (which I basically bought for mower blade removal), I used to block the blades with a piece of wood, then use a small breaker bar. That would scare me to death. One slip and my hands could go flying into a blade. It never happened, thank goodness, but it's an easy chore now with the impact wrench.

JimG- My JD mower deck and BushHog brush cutter both use standard RH threads. No spares here, but if you go to the trouble of taking them off, it takes just a minute or two per blade to grind an edge. I think for me, a spare set would be worth more as a back-up to replace a bent or broken or badly damaged blade.

OkieG

/ Removing blades on a finishing mower #10  
Bird, OkieG,
Thanx!

Okie...I had that happen before on a push mower, was changing the blade and the wrench slipped. Even 'sharp' blades arent all that sharp...more like finely serrated. It healed up pretty quick though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif