Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing blades on a finishing mower

Is there a trick or technique in removing the blades on a finishing mower? I have a 84" rear finishing mower and I want to take the blades off to sharpen. They have not been off since I brought the mower. I can raise the mower high enough to get underneath so getting at them is no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Removing blades on a finishing mower

I use my impact wrench set at the lowest setting. They come off fast and go on fast. It is the best and fastest solution that I have found.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Ditto. I was absolutely unable to remove them without my impact wrench!

Pete

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Century 3035

Impact Wrench

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

siebo

I use my Craftsman electric impact wrench to remove finish mower blades. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On my rotary mower I needed a 4' extension bar on a 3/4" ratchet. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If you decide to use an impact wrench as we have suggested above, just take care not to try to simulate a NASCAR pit stop. Start all of the bolts by hand and snug them up tight. Then use the impact wrench to finish the job. I also use anti-seize compound on my threads and between the blade and the spindle to keep them from freezing together with rust.

Good Luck

This subject is very timely as Im going to replace the blades on my finish mower shortly. First, I assume that the bolts holding the blade on are RH threaded. Correct? Secondly, how many of you keep a spare set of blades? I was thinking a spare set might be handy.

BTW I like the idea of putting no-sieze on the threads! I ran into a similar problem w/ the bolts that hold the belt gaurds on. One had rusted so badly over the winter that it had to be destroyed to get it off.

All the blades I've encountered were right handed threads, and yes, I used to keep a spare set of blades, so I could sharpen them at my convenience and always had a sharp set to put on whenever I wanted to.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 855 (24hp/19@PTO)

Before my impact wrench (which I basically bought for mower blade removal), I used to block the blades with a piece of wood, then use a small breaker bar. That would scare me to death. One slip and my hands could go flying into a blade. It never happened, thank goodness, but it's an easy chore now with the impact wrench.

JimG- My JD mower deck and BushHog brush cutter both use standard RH threads. No spares here, but if you go to the trouble of taking them off, it takes just a minute or two per blade to grind an edge. I think for me, a spare set would be worth more as a back-up to replace a bent or broken or badly damaged blade.

OkieG

Bird, OkieG,
    Thanx!

Okie...I had that happen before on a push mower, was changing the blade and the wrench slipped. Even 'sharp' blades arent all that sharp...more like finely serrated. It healed up pretty quick though. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast