Ignition circuit fuse burns

/ Ignition circuit fuse burns #11  
I have the same problem on a 2 year old JD GX85 riding mower. (I know, not exactly a tractor, but...) The problem started when I was installing a rear bagger bracket and accidentally severed a wire at the rear of the mower and pulled off the connector to what I think is the oil pressure sensor. Fixed the broken wire, put the connector back on the sensor and the mower would not run. Finally found that the ignition fuse had blown, replaced it and the mower started right up. When I shut it down and tried to restart, fuse was blown again. It's happened everytime since.

Can anybody suggest what areas to look at? I don't have a wiring schematic, so I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.

/ Ignition circuit fuse burns
Well, I think the issue has been put to bed: the new ammeter wasn't lying when it registered a tremendous current surge as soon as the alternator started charging. I yanked it out, brought it to my favorite auto repair guy, and went home with a rebuilt one he happened to have on the shelf (a delco 10SI). I spent the whole day loading manure into the spreader and the old MF never sounded so good. Thanks to all for those interesting and helpful comments and suggestions. Hope my experience is useful.

/ Ignition circuit fuse burns #13  
I had the fuse go on my Gravely several times. What I found to be the problem is something to look for if you find fuses going more than once. Over the years, the end contacts on the fuse holder had recessed into the plastic body. The fuse ends didn't make really solid contact. This caused a higher load to go through the fuse to get out the other end.

After replacing the fuse holder, I've had no problems whatsoever with the fuse blowing.

Ralph