Turbo charger question

/ Turbo charger question #1  

Kelly11736

I would like to put a turbo charger on a Case Super K backhoe. Someone told me the pistons, etc had to be changed also. Is this correct? Got any ideas where to buy a used T-charger? Any thoughts in general??

/ Turbo charger question #2  
I know that this isn't the answer that you are looking for, but. You may or may not need to change the pistons. Some heavy duty applications, such as diesels, use the same piston in turbocharged and non-turbocharged applications. Have your parts man check for the piston in both applications and see if the part number is the same. Having said all of that, given the diesel piston design, you could possibly have a low pressure system installed even with non-turbo pistons.

/ Turbo charger question #3  
When you add turbo, usually you don't reassemble engine, and replace parts. Just need to change air and exhaust manifold. Engines with turbo added usually put out less hp than similar turbo engines what are factory done. Key reason to add turbo is to increase max torque and elasticity of engine curve and slightly increase max power.
Don't know for your Case.

/ Turbo charger question #4  
From what I understand alot of the smaller tractors coming out w/ turbos' are on there as much for emissions control as anything - burns cleaner & more efficiently w/ turbo. As for your question - I don't think I can add anything that has'nt been said already.

/ Turbo charger question #5  
Kelly, Does your tractor manufacture offer a turbo model? If not you may find an after market company that sells a kit, But I would never buy a used turbo unless it was certified good! The turbo is the most important part and you must know that the one your going to use is good , bearings good , balanced ,oil cooled, etc.
You only want to do this once may as well do it right, Just my opinion... Also is your power way down as is? or do you just want more?Injectors clean? Turbo may reqiure larger injectors to prevent a lean conditon(heat problem).
There is more to it than just bolting a blow drier on top. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Turbo charger question #6  
Get yourself a 50 pound propane cylinder and a fogger unit and put propane on your diesel.

/ Turbo charger question #7  
dump about 10% gasoline in the tank and watch the stack glow /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Turbo charger question #8  
" Turbo may reqiure larger injectors to prevent a lean conditon(heat problem)."

The turbo is going to need larger injectors to produce more power. Added air doesn't do anything in itself, it allows you to burn more fuel which is where you get the added power. Less fuel means less heat in a diesel, it will run cooler if you add a turbo and don't uprate the injectors.

/ Turbo charger question #9  
Turbos work best at steady state RPM. No lag. The engine can operate very efficiently.

The engine/turbo combination should be designed as a unit for proper boost pressures and cooling.

For real power addittion a supercharger is ideal and responds to variable RPM.

Egon

/ Turbo charger question #10  
Welcome Kelly, I have to agree with 5030, if you want instant power and lots of it, do the propane thing. I've heard you can get about 800 horsepower out of a 7.3 Stroker like that. Fill out your profile so we know what you have. I thought about the propane for my TC35, but 300 horsepower seemed a bit much for pushing snow or dirt. I'm not serious about this, I hope you know, but in Mich. most of us can be real smarta&@$ when we want. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif