Bent deck on KK finish mower

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #1  

rlk

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 35 BX 2200 1952 Farmall H
I noticed today that my KK 6' finish mower was cutting low on one side of the middle blade and high on the other. I thought I had bent a blade, but after taking the blade off saw that the blade was fine but the deck was bent. Apparently I hit something.

The deck is bent where the middle spindle attaches. There are 3 bolts that hold the spindle to the deck, and the deck is raised 1/4" where one of the bolts goes. Even though it is only a quarter of an inch, it makes the blade on one side close to an inch higher than the other blades, and an inch lower on the other side.

The deck on the mower is really thick so I'm sure I can not bend it back into place myself. Would a standard welding shop be able to bend it back or will I need to go to a shop that straightens automobile frames?

Or, anyone else have an idea to get it back into shape?

Thanks, Bob

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #2  
Bob -
I'd bet your deck can be bent back to something close to it's original shape. Any standard welding and/or machine shop (that instills confidence in you too!) with a larger hydraulic press ought to be able to help for just a few bucks.

Getting the deck back to perfect will be difficult though as there will be no benchmark to attain - just eyeing it via leaving the blades on and trying to horizontally align blade tips.

Good Luck!

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #3  
rlk, Your deck could be heated with a torch(spindle removed of course)and tapped down with 3lb. hammer(gently at first too see how much movement you get at first(also you don't want to make it go the other way)...But with a 3lb. hammer you might even persuade it with out heat, worth a try /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #4  
I would think that if you remove the spindle and then set the deck down on a cinder block where the spindle was, that you could coax it back with the added help of a sledge. I also think you could do it without the use of heat. Use a straightedge on the top of the deck as a reference point and take it slow.

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #5  
<font color="blue"> The deck on the mower is really thick so I'm sure I can not bend it back into place myself. </font>

You might consider supporting the deck on a couple 4x4s and putting something on top of it to push down on with your BX loader bucket...

If you need more down pressure than you can get with the bucket/tractor, you could use a bucket full of something to add weight...

Who knows...you might be surprised what you can accomplish if you try... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #6  
One thought - If you talk to a welding shop - if they're good they might be able to get the deck to 'warp' a bit by judicious application of a weld bead. Amazing how far metal can move with a weld (mostly when you don't want it to.) With a good touch they might get you a little closer - maybe enough to get the rest of the way with some carefully chosen shims under the spindle mount bolts.

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #7  
A friend of mine is an automotive body man. They have tools to punch dents and bulges back in place. I realize the steel on a fender is thinner than your deck but with some heat and the right punch you might get something accomplished

A second though and I don't know if this will work, but could you put washers under 2 of the 3 bolts to "educate" the blade to a more level rotation? A 1/4" doesn't sound like much. And if you hit something big enough to bend the deck I'd be surprised if the blade wasn't bent at least some. Switch the blades and see if the scauling goes to another spot. If so bad blade

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #8  
Remove the spindle, get a pipe flange large enough to drill and bolt to the spindle mounting holes. Bolt the pipe flange in place, screw in a 6 foot piece of pipe and bend until the pipe is 90 deg to the deck.

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #9  
I like that big lever idea.

I've also seen people straighten ford radious rods with a couple bottle jacks and chains.

Might use a 4x4 and bottle jack in the center, and a chain to each side.. as you pump the jack, the frame will have to warp up.

Depending on where you put the jack.. what you have it supported with, and where the chains are.. will determine the amount and direction of bend.

keep in mind that you will probably have to bend a little past center as it may/will spring back a bit.

good luck

Try the 'free' stuf first if that doesn't work... you can always spend money later.

I'm betting you got a bottle jack, some timber and a chain or two lawing around somewhere..

Soundguy

/ Bent deck on KK finish mower #10  
Henro,

That's probably what we'd do. With a larger machine, can use stabilizers to push on each side.

I'd add that once you get it where you want it, you may wish to weld a piece of angle on the top ( /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ) crossing the entire span of the mower, to prevent the weakened deck from bending again.

Bob- Bent deck. Hmm... You were backing up with the mower on and hit a tree or stump or something, either squashing the mower or flipping the back up in the air? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you lift it with the 3ph, make sure your PTO shaft can collapse to the shortened length when up in the air. I am assuming your center spindle us under/near the gearbox.

Can you post a picture of the deck?

Let us know how you make out.

-JC