Torque Wrenchs

/ Torque Wrenchs #1  

timb

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 4710/reverser, JD 318 (still needs TLC), JD LT160
I need to get a heavier torque wrench. The biggest one I have now only runs to 150 ft. lbs. I'd like to get one to keep an eye on wheel hub and rim bolts, FEL mounts, that sort of thing. A lot of this stuff runs up near 200 ft lbs. or even over a bit. I don't feel like springing for a Snap-On or Mac-level wrench for this kind of duty. There's a lot of heavier 'generic' 1/2" wrenches out there that range to 250 ft. lbs. (Northern, Harbor, that sort of thing) Anyone have any specific recommendations for a relatively affordable but generally reasonably accurate (5%?) one?

/ Torque Wrenchs #2  
No specific recommendations on a torque wrench to buy. Just this note that you must always unload the torque setting on the clicker type torque wrenches after each use to maintain their accuracy. As far as I know this is for ALL brands of clicker type torque wrenches.

/ Torque Wrenchs #3  
I bought a craftsman 'clicker' from sears during one of their super tool sales (no point in buying tools from sears at any other time).

I had to get a clicker in order to torque on a head because I couldn't pull hard enough and see the torque on my 'pointer' torque wrench. So, I'd say, at a minimum, buy a clicker.

/ Torque Wrenchs
Yep. I think one I have says to keep it at a minimum setting (around 2 lbs) I suppose just to keep tension on the correct side of the threads/teeth but no real stress.

I see SK has a 1/2" 20-250 that streets for around $110. That's not too bad, I generally have good luck with their stuff. The generics seem to be mostly around $50. Premium brands like Snap-On and the like are more like $250. The regular Craftsman clicker in this range is $100.

/ Torque Wrenchs #5  
I did a little shopping on ebay a few months ago and bought three torque wrenches in various sizes two brand new and one used. All three cost me about what one new one would cost. They are Proto and SK. You can send them off to a lab for about $15.00 each and have them calibrated.

/ Torque Wrenchs #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I did a little shopping on ebay a few months ago and bought three torque wrenches in various sizes two brand new and one used. All three cost me about what one new one would cost. They are Proto and SK. You can send them off to a lab for about $15.00 each and have them calibrated. )</font>

Who/where do you send 'em off to to get calibrated? I unsuccessfully tried to find a calibration shop when I lived in the San Jose area.

I have a brand x clicker that I got from my Dad. It is way off calibration. When doing an engine I set a bolt with my pointer torque wrench and then use that bolt to set the clicker wrench. I've always felt uneasy doing this. But as another poster said it is difficult to read the indicator when grunting over a bolt.