Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: Broken Bush Hog Blades

Can you imagine what the sound would have been to cause both blades to break? YEOW!

I tend to agree that there might have been a defective blade, but two of them is what I find incredible. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I'm wondering if the center nut off the stump jumper came loose and both blades dropped off. That is a real possibility.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm wondering if the center nut off the stump jumper came loose and both blades dropped off. That is a real possibility. )</font>
    That certainly sounds plausible. I can see the nut getting loose and eventual wear, or just falling off.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I busted the blades on my 6ft landpride. $40 for a new set. You can also try Tractor supply, they carry allot of different sizes.

If you use it, you'll break it. When my blades broke, there was one huge bang and then eveything kind of went quite. Sheer pin is fine, engine never died, and I have no idea what I hit.

If I was to guess, I'd say the damage was done some other day and the day they broke was when the metal finally gave out.

Make sure you have a the socket. That was the hardest part, finding an impact socket 1 11/16. I had to call Landpride and they told me the size, which I had to special order from my high end tool store.

Good luck,
    Eddie

Tractor
    TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans

$40 sounds like a deal to me.
    The bolts and nuts plus the blades were $80 for my bush hog 286.
    But then again I cut 3" trees with this thing and run it off a 70 hp tractor.
    Three years and no broken blades so maybe its worth the money since they really hold up.
    The only reason I replaced them is beacuse I think they finally bent up a bit since It developed a lot of vibration in the mower at 540 rpm.

Fred

Tractor
    New Holland TC 55 DA, 4110 John Deere, HT 20 Bolens, 1456 Bolens

Yes those swinging pieces of steel can be very dangerous. Read in the paper several years ago where a tractor / brush hog machine was being used to cut weeds on a divided highway. One of the blades broke. As the unit was at an angle it flew out of the steel enclosure and struck a passing vehicle. Everytime I find a large rock on a new weed patch I am glad my sickle mower just bounces around and doesn't try to grind it up. Something about all the mass and speed that gives me the willies. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Gears and blades can be replaced without complications. Please use caution when operating these machines.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Although I didn't break any blades, twice now, with two different tractors, I've stalled the tractor by getting the brush hog wrapped up, once in a large steel cable and the other time in a mess of old fencing. Fortuneately, I THINK and HOPE, nothing was seriously damaged. I always felt that since the hog didn't hit with a huge impact, it was just the big load on the drive that stalled the tractors. Should I be concerned? I figured the sheer-pin didn't snap because the load wasn't abrupt. Maybe I should replace it anyway before I really do end up damaging something.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

Djradj,
    I think you might have something there with the gradual load thing when wrapping up the wire. I would however check/replace my shearpin bolt and make sure the driveline is not rusted to the gearbox shaft, If so a shearpin might not help.

Maybe the blades twisted up and broke because of the wire, not from a frontal impact , so to speak.

Ben

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I probably aproach this differently than most.

I'me extremely rough on my tools and equipment. I expect to break it and when I do, I repair or replace what I destroy.

For me, time and finishing the job is my primary concern.

When I'm shredding, I'm out to get everything, and that means pushing it way beyound what is recomended and planned on when it was built.

I've broke both blades, dozens of sheere pins, the gear box and now the drive shaft. None of these things cost much to repair and I keep running it until it falls apart.

Wear and tear on the tractor is just part of the equation of buying new and expecting it to last a certain number of years.

The reason I bought Land Pride was the availability of parts. I just went to Lowes the other day because I've lost half my bolts that hold on the rear wheel.

I've done this in less than a year of owning it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12