Broken Bush Hog Blades

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #1  

billcleveland

While cutting a field I managed to "find" a section of metal fence which someone pulled down and left in the field.

Both blades broke off the 5 foot Rollins bush hog but hopefully nothing else was damaged. Is Rollins still in business or can I use generic blades? Does anyone know of a Rollins web site or dealer in the North GA area?

Also the impact stopped the tractor engine. Does this indicate that I don't have a shear pin or clutch in the pto driveline on the bush hog?

Bill

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #2  
I don't know anything about Rollins, and I don't know where you're located, but it appears from this web site that it's a Canadian company still in business.

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #3  
If you hit something with enough force that it broke a brush cutter blade and stalled your engine.. you had better pray that was all it did.

Sounds like you either have no slip clutch, or it is frozen.. or the shear pin was replaced with a hardened bolt... which it should not have been.

good luck

Soundguy

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #4  
Wow, something should have given that was supposed to give, (slip clutch, shear pin) before all this happened. Id really inspect these before I mowed again. I dont know how these diesel engines like going from PTO RPM to a complete stall, but that cant be good either. Let us know what you find out. Id really give that mower a good look and make sure that something isnt broken or not working.

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Both blades broke off the 5 foot Rollins bush hog but hopefully nothing else was damaged. )</font>

Bill, I just find that statement incredible. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Not only did you break both blades, but you didn't damage anything else. My rotary cutter blades are made of some really "serious" steel. If I hit something hard enough to break the blades, I'd expect the whole cutter to be severly damaged. Can you take some pictures? Did your whole stump jumper come off with the blades attached? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #6  
Jinman.. I agree... The blades on my 5' KK .. just eyeballing this am look to be 3/8 to 1/2 material... and as we all know.. those blades are good tool quality metal.. not cheapy soft stuff. If I broke 2 blades like that.. I would fully expect to be either replacing a cutter gearbox.. or putting a new pto shaft in my tractor.. to replace the old one missing the drive splines .

Wow.. I also didn't realize this was a diesel.. I just can't imagine stalling a diesel with a mower... think I would be draining/straining diffy oil in the field thru my hands looking for gear tips... just for piece of mind before I looked any further...

Sounds like his blades wre fixed rigid to the stump cutter and couldn't move?

On a slightly different not. I was at a dealers the other day.. and they had a bunch of howse 5 and 6' cutters standing up.. I noticed that some of them didn't have stump jumpers.. but merely had a blade 'carrier' that allowed the blades to bolt on a short flat stock.. and then another short flat stock whent on the bottom .. sandwhiching the blades.... looked odd.. looked dangerous.. anyone ever see anything like this before?

Soundguy

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #7  
Some people don't want the stump jumper. Your description sounds like many that I have see with out a stump jumper. Though most had only the blade bar for the blades to attach to. Even some with stump jumpers are made the same way and the stump jumper is placed over the blade bar. That is to say the stump jumper bolts to the blade bar. The blades still attach to the blade bar not the stump jumper and I would think this is much stronger than one might think. There is a spacer / washer added between the blade and the blade bar to provide the neccessary clearance.
Leo

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #8  
WOW i am surprised most have not ever sheared a blade.
I have had one shear in two on a stump . makes a heck of a racket and the tractor feels like it's gonna shake apart.
And this was no cheap cutter , a FMC sidewinder yeah with stump jumper and slip clutch behind a ford 3600.
My grandfather had broke a few and i know my uncle has broke a bunch!

Now i will admit we were not cutting the front lawn and put the thing through more than it was intended to do. my uncles motto is that if he can ride it down with the tractor it's getting chewed up that means some pretty good size trees.
I would not dare put my woods bb60 with it's little 3/8 blades what we did with those fmc's.

Anyway i was just kind of shocked that not more folks had sheared a bush hog blade. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyway i was just kind of shocked that not more folks had sheared a bush hog blade. )</font>
I would say the reason is that most shear pins break first and keep the blades from breaking. I certainly hope that if I ever hit anything that would break blades that the shear pin would go first and stop the mower from turning. John

/ Broken Bush Hog Blades #10  
Kiotijohn that one time it happened to me was enough. i wonder if maybe the blade was defective or a series of blades. i don't know i just know it is a waking experience. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif